Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do any resin casters off these Centerline wheels in 1/25 or 1/24?

I appreciate the info.  It'll come in handy if nobody offers these wheels in resin.  My reasons for trying for resin copies first was 1) to avoid having to buy more kits and  2) I was also going to try and capture the polished aluminum look of the 2nd wheel via airbrushed paints, and resin seems to be more resistant to lacquers etc.

No Fieros for me.  I had an '80 Corvette that looked almost exactly like this one.  IMNSHO, that 2nd Centerline wheel was the only aftermarket unit that I thought looked as good as the factory alloys.  I never changed wheels on the 1:1 car, but I thought I might try it in model form.

80L82.jpg

Edited by Monty

All of those AMT B-body kits include a set of Centerline wheels, but those have more/smaller holes.  That particular style was "in" for about twenty minutes in the mid-Eighties.  I strip the plating off of those, and cut the centers out.  The outer rings are great when you need them for the backs of other wheels.  I used them on the backs of some MPC Minilites on a Corvair build a couple of years ago, they worked out great because the outer rim detail was close to that of the Minilite wheel.  If you want plated rings, you could whack the centers out without disturbing the plating if you are careful.

The Monogram '71 'Cuda street machine kit has two of the wheel pictured at top.  They put two in with holes and two without, even though the wheels and tires are all the same size.

Some of the AMT/Ertl '32 Fords (Victoria and phaeton) have a set of wheels similar to the bottom ones, but theirs is a Cragar version.  Theirs was chrome plated and had the lug bolts hidden under a center cap, which, if I remember right, was chrome-plated plastic and was attached to the wheel so it didn't fall off.  I think the cap was hinged and clipped shut like a fuel filler door.  You could probably strip the plating from the AMT/Ertl wheel, drill the lug holes, and shoot it with an aluminum finish and call it close enough in most cases.

How many are you wanting I think I still have a older mold that is still good and may be able to get a few from. The big issue would be finding it . I know I have moved since the last time I used it.

Which wheel do you have a mold for?  Can you show me the kit yours was sourced from?  If it's the 2nd wheel I posted, I'd probably like to buy 3 sets of 4 wheels since they usually come in two sizes.  

cl1.thumb.jpg.160417d2bcff413c2b89134f99

If you want the first ones in styrene, they were included in the "Hot Rod" boxed version of the Revell Model A pickup- minus the spinners. 

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/k1IAAOSw241YUt-u/s-l300.jpg

That was a dark time for Revell- quality of parts and chrome was pretty bad, but with some clean up might serve as a "roll your own" resin master. 

Edited by gman

All of those AMT B-body kits include a set of Centerline wheels, but those have more/smaller holes.  That particular style was "in" for about twenty minutes in the mid-Eighties.  I strip the plating off of those, and cut the centers out.  The outer rings are great when you need them for the backs of other wheels.  I used them on the backs of some MPC Minilites on a Corvair build a couple of years ago, they worked out great because the outer rim detail was close to that of the Minilite wheel.  If you want plated rings, you could whack the centers out without disturbing the plating if you are careful.

The Monogram '71 'Cuda street machine kit has two of the wheel pictured at top.  They put two in with holes and two without, even though the wheels and tires are all the same size.

Some of the AMT/Ertl '32 Fords (Victoria and phaeton) have a set of wheels similar to the bottom ones, but theirs is a Cragar version.  Theirs was chrome plated and had the lug bolts hidden under a center cap, which, if I remember right, was chrome-plated plastic and was attached to the wheel so it didn't fall off.  I think the cap was hinged and clipped shut like a fuel filler door.  You could probably strip the plating from the AMT/Ertl wheel, drill the lug holes, and shoot it with an aluminum finish and call it close enough in most cases.

"That particular style was "in" for about twenty minutes in the mid-Eighties."  LOL!  I literally laughed out loud on that one Mark!

I wanted to let you know I did not find the molds but I found the wheels .so i'm making new molds right now it will take a  couple days if you find a set don't worry . I'm updating most of my molds anyway .i'll let you know when they are done and see if you still need them . Sorry for the delay having to make about 20 new molds at same time right now thank you.

I wanted to let you know I did not find the molds but I found the wheels .so i'm making new molds right now it will take a  couple days if you find a set don't worry . I'm updating most of my molds anyway .i'll let you know when they are done and see if you still need them . Sorry for the delay having to make about 20 new molds at same time right now thank you.

This may work out for both of us.  Since you're cranking out new molds, I'd be interested in knowing what other wheel molds you offer.  If you could include that info as well as your price per set of 4 wheels, I'd appreciate it.