Model Cars Magazine Forum

two tone paint advice

I've read all posts about masking, using BMF and clearing along the mask line. The model I'm going to build is blue on the bottom and white on the top. I'm going to paint the top first.

Should I paint the whole model white, or can I just paint a little past where the mask line will be.  I'm going to use an airbrush and thought that could just feather out the white area past the line where the masking will be.

Is there any reason not to do it that way?  I'm just trying to minimize the paint buildup.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by dlh
clarity

That's how I do it. Let the white dry real good, mask it off (I use 3M vinyl automotive fine line), lightly sand down any orange peal where you feathered the white, clean it up and shoot the blue.

Yup. What he said. B)

As long as the blue paint you're using isn't to opaque, you might have a problem if you're using a gray or dark primer.

Thanks.

I've been using Tamiya fine white primer.

That's how I do it. Let the white dry real good, mask it off (I use 3M vinyl automotive fine line), lightly sand down any orange peal where you feathered the white, clean it up and shoot the blue.

Thanks. I thought that would work, but I should ask the experts first.

Dave

Thanks.

I've been using Tamiya fine white primer.

I always use Tamiya white primer unless I'm painting a very dark color. I have found that even on many darker colors seem brighter with the white base,.