Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 TDR Nova

Brian using 3/16" tubing would be equal to 1-1/2" Dia tube. you are talking 1/8" difference between the 1-5/8" Dia tube. I will be honest that I don't know what tubing sizes Most Pro Mods use. I am guessing between 1-1/2" and 2" for the main structure. I know Dave (Comp1839) would know for sure, but I think you would be ok with using the 3//16 tube.

Here is a tubing chart I did sometime ago:

TubingSizes-vi.jpg

brian, don't know if you're interested or if it helps but, here's chassis from the chassis works site. it probably needs to have the wheel base stretched but, i do believe it's for a '66-'67 nova.

while 1.625 is correct for mostly the rollcage. the rest of the chassis will be mostly 1.500 and 1.250 any way so,....... i wouldn't get too upset about it.  you can only do so much with what we have.

66-67 chassis.jpg

Edited by comp1839

• 1 month later...

Well I finally pulled the trigger on the 1/8 scale Nova about a month ago. It arrived from Shapeway a few days ago. I sold my resin 55 Chevy to help fund this one, then along with the Shapeway 15% off sale I had just enough money to purchase. I doubt I'll be doing a whole lot this summer as I'm in the middle of a garage build and also restoring a 64 Malibu SS right now and as you all know something like this will take several years. I have quite a few 1/8 items already built and collected for the 55 Chevy that I can use for this project which I'll post as time permits. Help me stay motivated and we'll see where this one goes.

* I plan on having Ken Shreve from Maryland paint this monster for me, he did another build for me last year that really turned out great.

1.jpg

I also bought a Shapeways 66 Nova pro mod,but in a 1/24th) scale through TDR.The car arrived in a very odd material and finish.It wasn't resin,or plastic.It was hard but somewhat flexible..And since it's made by a 3D printer.And I had no prior experience with a 3D printers.It certainly took a long time to sand and fill it smooth.It required a lot more sanding and filling,than I thought.Actually I even thought about giving up on the sanding.But I kept at it,and got it as close as I can...I'll post some pics of the sanding and filling I had to do....My car again is a 1/24th scale,while yours is a 1/8th scale.Which must have been an incredibly difficult thing to do.I cannot wait to see your car completely finish...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So I got the car body as smooth as I was able to do.I painted it flat black.I customized the glass all around so it would fit,m.I customized a roll cage,seating,and scratchbuilt a floor board and then added some decals..Still a WIP.I hope it came out pretty well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

How's the Nova coming along?I can't wait to see it finished.The 1/24th scale body was a lot of work.I can't imagine how much prepping the 1/8th scale body.Must be really difficult.But I'm really looking forward to see what you have gotten done so far.This is mine,with some decals,I called it the Stalker..I guess it came out ok.Again hoping to see what your up to.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Underdog,just wondering if u have been doing any more work on your Nova.Like I said,I purchased the 1/24th scale version,and trust me,I know how much sanding and filling is needed on the body..So far,your car looks great.Looking forward to seeing it all done.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Ken is currently busy painting it for me. i'll post pics when it's finished. He used primer filler and sanding, I don't think he actually sanded much of anything on the body itself, rather filled in. Others I know use super glue then sand, but being 1/8 scale that wasn't really an option.

• 1 month later...