Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Alfa Romeo Giulia, Hard to Find?

Frank, I have that kit but haven't built it yet. Prices can be all over the map for one of these on eBay. I've seen them ask for as much as $90 for one------I got mine for less than $40. Sealed and all! Someone on the board built one of these a little while back here on the board. It wasn't stock------IIRC it was done as a road racer and was VERY nice! B)

In that box, it's been out relatively recently. The "1/24 Historic Car Series" badge is something that Tamiya has been doing the last few years with some of their older kits.

bonnet-open-medla-flat.jpg

It's a lovely little kit, improved dramatically by drilling the rear shock absorber mount points about 2mm deeper...

2-left-near-profile.jpg

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

Tell me about it! Sometimes I'll buy a kit simply because I just like the car. Like many others here on the board, I have many more models than I'll ever have years to build------a lot of them will simply outlive me! ;)

Me too! I need to do more building/finishing and less buying.:rolleyes:

The last time Tamiya reissued it was 2006, so it's been awhile and why the pricing can be somewhat scatterbrained. The original kit was done in 1997, so based on that reissue history,  it seems due for another go around - and they obviously have an active Alfa license after reissuing three of the DTM cars in 2015/2016.

Edited by niteowl7710

It is a really wonderful kit of a supercool car! If you are patient, then you'll find the kit available at decent prices. 

Here are some pictures of the ones I've built: 

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ChillyB1/library/Tamiya Alfa-Romeo Giulia GTA?sort=3&page=1

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ChillyB1/library/Tamiya Alfa-Romeo GTA?sort=3&page=1

DSCN0779.jpg

The Tamiya Alfa is a great kit, but you need to massage the glass to make sure it fits properly. If you want to make other versions, keep your eyes out for the Gunze kits. They are nowhere near as nice as the Tamiya, but contain all the different trim (grilles, lights, door handles, etc.) for conversion. The old Protar Giulietta is also good for parts, especially if you want to change the engine to a more 'sedate' version.