Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1/20 Scooby-Doo Mystery Machine Review 85-1994

Revell's brand new Scooby Doo Mystery Machine. Goes together better than any other US brand snap kit I've ever assembled, really nice for the kiddos to get into kits and for us cartoon fans to enjoy a great kit too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2tFjmN9wMg   Sorry, direct URL linking is not working on the forums today or I'd embed the video as usual. I'll come back tomorrow and see if it's working yet.

That looks like a nice kit, and easier to build that the PL version.  Are there grooves outlining there the green graphics are though?

Correct, those are grooves. I'm assuming to make it easier for the people on the factory to get good lines as they paint. One could easily bleed some black in there for a nice strong line between the colors, like the cartoon had.

I am new to the forum and just wanted to tell you that I have really enjoyed your reviews. Its great to see the kits opened up and looking at the parts! I also wanted to comment on something that I am sure has been talked about a lot. This is just my opinion but I really do not understand why Revell would invest new tooling dollars in the Scooby Doo van. I do not think that the Polar Lights kit was that great of a seller that we would need another. I bought the Polars lights kit to build with my daughter when it came out and we had fun with it, it did not spark any interest in her to build models. I do not think I will be buying any of these! I have bought some of the other Revell snap kits like the Raptor and the new Mustang and the Audi, I have nothing against snap kits as long as it is a good subject! hpiguy, I apologize if i put this comment in the wrong spot, maybe I should have started a new thread. Again I think it was a great review!!!

Chris,  Excellent review!  You were informative and kept it moving along.  I wish all reviews were this good.

It seems like a nice kit but a bit too toy-like but I'm sure that's what Revell is going for.  I have a Polar Lights Mystery Machine I just finished that I'll post some pictures of soon.  Now having seen the Revell Mystery Machine I feel the shape of the original tooled Polar Lights kit looks a bit closer to how it looked on the cartoon.  However I do like that the rear doors aren't hinged on the Revell kit.  When I built mine I sealed the doors closed to look less toy-like.  Maybe the Mystery Machine was a lighter blue-green color in later episodes but in the original Scooby Do Where Are You series it was a darker blue, even in the daytime shots.  Toys and models of the Mystery Machine always seem to be a light blue-green color.    

Edited by crowe-t