Model Cars Magazine Forum

Drag race car trailer

NYLIBUD

Yea,it looks like s good quality kit.It has the awning,and tool shelves al over the inside.You can lift the top off,and see everything.I wonder if I'm going to leave it white,or color it.Hmmmm?Maybe put a large logo on the side,with race car stickers.But first I've got to build it.

I have a 44 feet and 38 feet goose neck and one 21 feet tag along and they are nice kits.
For the 44 feet I plan to use a 1:24 Testors Ford F-650 Super Crewser, it's a metal kit but large enough for this trailer.
The 38 feet I'm not sure yet, it also need a quite large pickup truck, I would have liked some kind of crew cab for it too and I have an AMT Dodge Ram Dually...but I need to make or find a crew cab for it for it to look right. 
The 21 feet tag along trailer will be towed by a Chevrolet C-3500 Dually with a cap over the bed.
I think the full size class 8 tractors are too large for these trailers, they need a taller longer trailer like the popular 2 story 53 feet Featherlite style trailers the NASCAR, NHRA and Indycar teams use, the Galaxie trailers are more suited to medium size trucks.

Edited by Force

Built one of the 44 foot tri-axle trailers a few years ago...excellent kits....with one exception!  After a short while, the tires/rims start to "seep" out a yellowish color goop....like the plastic draws it out of the plastic the tires are made of. Makes the whole thing look crappy.  I would suggest changing the tires/rims to something else before you finish it. other than that, its a great trailer and I'm looking at getting another one. The first one suffered a traffic accident on the way to the track (meaning my grandson got his hands on it when he was about 5!)....

• 4 weeks later...

They are really nice kits.  They are big!  Even the little tag alongs are too tall and wide to work with just any truck.  given that the kit is pretty true to the trailers from the 80s through the '90s, you can get away with an older truck.  They almost need a 1/24 truck to haul them.  Look for an old '91 Ford by Monogram.  Those things were huge and really matched up nicely with the Galaxie trailers.  The trailers were made to be displayed with 1/24 Sprint cars, NASCARs and the 1/24 Pro Stocks and Funny Cars of the time.  The 1991 dually is good, the 1977 GMC might work.  The Meng kit from  a couple of years ago was also 1/24 IIRC and was a big truck.  That would probably look just right fi you are doing a newer model.  Any of the big 1/24 diecast models would be cool too.  Swap out the tires and wheels as mentioned above.  Prepare to spend a few hours filling that trailer!  They need benches, tools, spare parts, fuel cans, helmets, driver's suits, and all kinds of other stuff to bring out the bet in them.  There are a lot of scratchbuilding opportunities with a project like that. You will have lots of fun!

• 4 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:57 PM, NYLIBUD said:

image.thumb.jpeg.79a02cdeab9ee289820b918

Are you kidding me?Can you say top heavy?And now

Luckily that doesn't go down the road that way. The top pushes up while trackside and comes down for driving...

BTW, those Galaxy trailers build up nicely!!!!!! Wouldn't mind getting a couple more someday!!!!! It'd be easy for me as I drive through Neosho WI everyday to and from work... Just stop and pick them up!!!

Oh yea,I know that it raises up and down,but it's still pretty high.Talk about an expensive trailer.??.Pretty wild stuff.And as far as my trailer,I hate to say it,but I haven't even started it.

11 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

Luckily that doesn't go down the road that way. The top pushes up while trackside and comes down for driving...

BTW, those Galaxy trailers build up nicely!!!!!! Wouldn't mind getting a couple more someday!!!!! It'd be easy for me as I drive through Neosho WI everyday to and from work... Just stop and pick them up!!!

4 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Oh yea,I know that it raises up and down,but it's still pretty high.Talk about an expensive trailer.??.Pretty wild stuff.And as far as my trailer,I hate to say it,but I haven't even started it.

K, didn’t know if ya knew or not!!!! Lol ? 

gotta start it!!!!!!! 

Yes I do have to get started on the trailer.And actually I had to look at that real tall Lotus trailer.Man,how much do you thing that goes for?It looks real comfortable.I'am thinking it's pretty dam expensive.:lol:$$$$.It looks pretty cool to drive it,but whose ever job it is to drive it,must be highly talented,to say the least.I wonder if it's got a pool,or at least a nice hot tub.

45 minutes ago, DrKerry said:

K, didn’t know if ya knew or not!!!! Lol ? 

gotta start it!!!!!!! 

1 hour ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yes I do have to get started on the trailer.And actually I had to look at that real tall Lotus trailer.Man,how much do you thing that goes for?It looks real comfortable.I'am thinking it's pretty dam expensive.:lol:$$$$.It looks pretty cool to drive it,but whose ever job it is to drive it,must be highly talented,to say the least.I wonder if it's got a pool,or at least a nice hot tub.

I hope it at least has a sauna in it!!!!! It looks like it’s a nice chunk of change!!!  

• 2 years later...