Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Buik GSX

bugman9317

Justed started working on a 1970 Buik GSX for my second build after a 30 year break. My first build was a 68 Roadrunner that didn't come out too great. I just want to say thanks to everyone on the forum
for being so helpful. If it wasn't for everyone on here I pobably would have hand painted everything. I know this is far from great but I am trying my best.. Any insight would be great.

Got the interior tub and firewall finished..

SAM 2133

SAM 2155

Engine painted and wired. I am not wild about the foam for the air cleaner. I used cork to make it because it was the only thing on hand. I think I am going to try the foam of a pool noodle and see if it looks better.

SAM 2152

SAM 2148

Looks good so far.  If there is anyway you can afford a photo etch set from the Model Car Garage it will really make your build POP!  They are tiny yet you will be able to paint the badges with the red paint like the real thing.

Thanks.. I was thinking pool noodle, but a take out container would probably work better. I tried regular window foam, but getting it to cut that small is tough. I'll have to order a PE set from Model Car Garage. Not sure how well it will go if they a really tiny pieces, but I'll give it a shot. My eyes are not what they used to be....

The interior looks great. The finish on the seats might be a little to shinny for leather or vinyl, maybe just a light dusting of semi-gloss ?? Very impressive wiring  for the firewall. I like the decal on the oil filter also. For the foam on the Air Filter, there are many sources of material you could use. If you receive anything at home or work that has those very thin foam wrappings is one that comes to mind. Overall it looks like you have it coming together just fine. Look forward to seeing how the rest of this build comes together.   

The interior looks great. The finish on the seats might be a little to shinny for leather or vinyl, maybe just a light dusting of semi-gloss ?? Very impressive wiring  for the firewall. I like the decal on the oil filter also. For the foam on the Air Filter, there are many sources of material you could use. If you receive anything at home or work that has those very thin foam wrappings is one that comes to mind. Overall it looks like you have it coming together just fine. Look forward to seeing how the rest of this build comes together.   

I'm with you, it is a little too shiny. I used a mix of 60/40 flat/gloss because I didn't have semi gloss but I am going to head out tomorrow and get some semi. That's another good idea for air cleaner.. I will play around with it tomorrow and see what I come up with. Like I said before, it is great to have a place to come where people actually help one another out.

Yeah the 

20170806_194139.thumb.jpg.d08989183b7a5eI couldn't find the original Saturn Yellow so I went with Ford's School Bus Yellow from Automotive Touchup. I just got a spray bomb and decanted it for airbrush.

Stealing it from you:). Thanks

Edited by Super28

Thanks.. I was thinking pool noodle, but a take out container would probably work better. I tried regular window foam, but getting it to cut that small is tough. I'll have to order a PE set from Model Car Garage. Not sure how well it will go if they a really tiny pieces, but I'll give it a shot. My eyes are not what they used to be....

how about the thin cork in a coaster for drinking glasses

IMG_20170806_195144.jpg

R Thorne and Liz 62 those are  good ideas too. I am going to sit down tomorrow and cut a a few things and see what looks the best. The cork I used almost fell apart when you cut it but a coaster looks like denser cork and a tool box liner might work good too..

With the yellow I figured since I could not get the match I would use something I saw on a Mustang and loved the color..

yellow-ford-mustang.jpg

Looks very close James. I can't wait to see it finished. This is a nice kit. You're doing great with it. I used Krylon sun yellow on mine, it's very close also.

Picture595.jpg

Yours looks great. I hope mine comes out as good.. I just realized that the front grill is all chrome and it should be the body color around the headlights. Did you tape off or just hand paint?