Model Cars Magazine Forum

'35 Mercedes Benz Hot Rod - "Mad'am"- Update 01/10/18 Page 4

Joca

On this particular project, I would advise against cutting open the doors. That would put the body in a very fragile state and if broken might cause you to give up on this build.

I feel it would be safe to open the trunk but it will add a level of complexity due to the need of creating the trunk interior space. I'm not trying to discourage you...I'm just pointing out one the realities of opening the trunk, and it's really no harder to resolve than you will have to do with regard to moving the engine bay firewall.

Regarding engine induction, just about any side draft style carb system will look great on this, SU's (Jaguar carbs), Webers, Carters (early Corvette), various injection types...or belt driven superchargers like a Magnacharger style or direct drive like Mercedes or Duesenberg.

Your choice of style may make it easier to choose features of your hot rod.

Period correct would dictate speed (hot rod) parts available at the time the car was produced, Restomod generally means original styling with newer and safer engine, chassis and suspension.

Currently, with the changes already made to the body... you have ventured into the traditional arena of "custom car" rather than just a car that has been "hot rodded" with performance parts.

If you have the time or desire, try doing some drawings or photoshopping of pictures to see how changing the body lines make an unforgettable car, or a car you'd rather forget.  ;)

Hi blunc. Appreciate your comments about the body fragility and the various subjects regarding the "automotive philosophy".
This is a great lesson for me. For many years I have been a subscriber to some American magazines, (Hot Rod, Street Rodder, etc...) but not all car culture is on its pages. 
:D

I hear what you are saying about levels of skill.I have been building models for about 60 years so am fairly comfortable with my current skill level but I see some things on these forums that are truly amazing such as engines made completely from scratch out of metal and know that I will never be able to do that.I am completely OK with that and admire those capable of such things.If you were going to consider those turbos I am sure there are builders on these forums that would more that willing to assist you with that kind of thing.You mentioned opening the truck and doors.Have you ever done that before? Personally I think the trunk easiest but a close look at those door lines tells me there is too little material between the door glass and the roof or the rear door edge for me to attempt that.I see things like that done with great skill but the effort simply is not worth it to me personally.

The main thing to remember here is that you should always build to suit yourself and what ever you decide to do will the right thing to make this project into what you want it to be.Is your native language Spanish?

You are building models more time than my entire life, I'm 53. I'm still thinking over the turbos. Yes, I have triyng open the doors of a '32 3W Revell, things did not go very well. I would like to do this job of opening doors but maybe this is not the right time.

Many thanks for your advice and for following this post.

My native language is Brazilian Portuguese. :D

Hi blunc. Appreciate your comments about the body fragility and the various subjects regarding the "automotive philosophy".
This is a great lesson for me. For many years I have been a subscriber to some American magazines, (Hot Rod, Street Rodder, etc...) but not all car culture is on its pages. 
:D

I have the exact same Johan kit you are working on, acquired it over thirty years ago. I have already cut the doors out, so I know exactly how fragile the body is. At the time, I was lacking skills to make door hinges that matched my desires for fit and finish of the model...so it has been in a box since then. When I get back to it, I will be able to complete the build to my current standards and will probably convert the wheels to real wire.

Magazines used to be the only way to see things other people build, video is great also but I find Google and the "Image" option of Google to be a great tool as of late. You just need to be persistent and try different search words, sometimes just changing the order of your search words yields different results.

A lot of interesting car builders are on the internet that have never been in a magazine, I lose a lot of building time when I find interesting car customizers.  :)

There are great, experienced and helpful builders here...you never know where the next great tip or advice will come from.

FYI: the Lindberg SSK does have a straight 6 motor but the level of detail in the Lindberg kit is nowhere near that of the Johan kit.

I have the exact same Johan kit you are working on, acquired it over thirty years ago. I have already cut the doors out, so I know exactly how fragile the body is. At the time, I was lacking skills to make door hinges that matched my desires for fit and finish of the model...so it has been in a box since then. When I get back to it, I will be able to complete the build to my current standards and will probably convert the wheels to real wire.

Magazines used to be the only way to see things other people build, video is great also but I find Google and the "Image" option of Google to be a great tool as of late. You just need to be persistent and try different search words, sometimes just changing the order of your search words yields different results.

A lot of interesting car builders are on the internet that have never been in a magazine, I lose a lot of building time when I find interesting car customizers.  :)

There are great, experienced and helpful builders here...you never know where the next great tip or advice will come from.

FYI: the Lindberg SSK does have a straight 6 motor but the level of detail in the Lindberg kit is nowhere near that of the Johan kit.

Great you have the same kit. Thank's for the tips over the kit and over the searching methods we have today. I'm not a subscriber anymore. All my steps are in the internet today. I agree with you, there are incredible works around. For now I'm curious to see your '35 MB, can you post a picture? 

The Lindberg kit was new for me. Good to know more infos about.

Great you have the same kit. Thank's for the tips over the kit and over the searching methods we have today. I'm not a subscriber anymore. All my steps are in the internet today. I agree with you, there are incredible works around. For now I'm curious to see your '35 MB, can you post a picture? 

The Lindberg kit was new for me. Good to know more infos about.

I don't have photos of that, didn't even have a camera back then (about 40 years), I still have the kit but it's been packed away with other projects for so long that I don't remember exactly where it is.

Suffice to say that it would look like any other Johan MB kit as it came out of the box with the exception that the doors had been cut out. I used the "back side of the Exacto blade" method.

I don't have photos of that, didn't even have a camera back then (about 40 years), I still have the kit but it's been packed away with other projects for so long that I don't remember exactly where it is.

Suffice to say that it would look like any other Johan MB kit as it came out of the box with the exception that the doors had been cut out. I used the "back side of the Exacto blade" method.

It's ok, no problems. It was just curiosity. I also used the "back side of the Exacto blade" when I messed up my '32...<_< lack of skills...

It's ok, no problems. It was just curiosity. I also used the "back side of the Exacto blade" when I messed up my '32...<_< lack of skills...

I can't say that I have never slipped and gouged bodies when using the exacto blade method, the key thing to remember is that it's only plastic and plastic can be added back in or putty to fill scratches.

There is lots of good info in the questions thread and tips thread on this forum.

Image result for johan  1934 mercedes 500k

Wow, this wiil be a great project also. This kit comes with the soft top?

I din't see an answer to this question so I thought I would jump in and answer it  - Yes, it does come with an up top. I built 1 years ago. Great kit.

. This build thread is very interesting.I would have never thought of making a rod out it. I will continue following along

I can't say that I have never slipped and gouged bodies when using the exacto blade method, the key thing to remember is that it's only plastic and plastic can be added back in or putty to fill scratches.

There is lots of good info in the questions thread and tips thread on this forum.

My problem is time to do all what I want. As soon as I can I will take a look at the question and tips threads.

Yes, it's only plastic but in the most part of time it make us (me) very nervous...:o

Edited by Joca

I din't see an answer to this question so I thought I would jump in and answer it  - Yes, it does come with an up top. I built 1 years ago. Great kit.

. This build thread is very interesting.I would have never thought of making a rod out it. I will continue following along

Until now no one have answered this question. Very kind of you. Have never seen this model, only box photos.

Great you like this project. thank you for your words. You are welcome. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi there. Another little update. As I said before this will be a slow work. Spent much part of my time studying the next steps. Hope you like and enjoy the photos. Start stripping down the paint, Shortened the chassis and body floor ( - 1,5 cm ), made an new firewall from sheet styrene. This is for now. Sorry Tom, no space for turbos but there are more options, who knows the future... B)

Appreciate all your time, comments and visits. Is nice to be hear. :D

Sorry for to many photos. :rolleyes:

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

If I already told you this, please forgive me!?!

But I think this will be very, very KOOL!!!

With that MB front grill and all, how can you go

wrong with this build!

David S.

Hi David. Do not worry, you still have not made any comments about this building. Thank's for your words, they are an big incentive to continue with this project. Very kind of you. 

Best regards, Joca. :)