Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '56 Ford F-100 "Demon II"-Spoiler Shots-04/13

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:02 PM, abelaxe said:

This build is AWESOME!  I love it!  and Im not even a Ford guy..LOL...Im going to have to get this kit.

22 hours ago, Mercuryman54 said:

I am a Ford guy and I like it a lot!! Keep up the good work! I'll be watching.

Dennis

Thanks fellas. Hope to have a little more done by the end of this weekend.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:02 PM, abelaxe said:

I dunno what happened with the quote thing there. Couldn't get it off of the post. Sorry......

I've made some more progress this morning that I felt like was worth an update. I do like these Macro photos for the simple fact that I can see some errors that I'll have to correct but other than those tiny corrections I'm happy with the outcome so far. Still got the exhaust and some other details to add. I really like this aluminum distributor kit from True Details. It's even got the PE distributor cap metal fasteners included in it.

Got some more progress done with the addition of the throttle linkage (still need to add the linkage from the foot pedal up to the motor) and the completion of the radiator and fans. You know that was a really crappy design with the radiator. The fans are MOLDED into the radiator which made the masking off a real PIA!! But I managed to finagle a decent mask for it and paint it all up.

Additionally I'm kind of bummed out about the wheels. I can't use them on this build because the brake calipers are too big for them and that stupid ring at the center of the front spindles would show through on them. facepalm_zpsgaclnqrj.gif  I'll be going with the Weld Draglites that I was originally going to use which is a good lookin' wheel and all but I was really looking forward to using the other ones. No worries................you'll see those again in the future on another build.

Todays progress:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, KWT said:

Looking good Joe!

Thanks Jeremy.

Ok fellas. First off, I shot my usual shot of flat black on followed by a coat of Tamiya German Grey. I finished it all off with a coat of Tamiya X-22 clear so I could apply all the decals on the seat, door panels and dash. I'll probably go with an embroidered  demon head in the middle of the seat back cushion just for a little character as well. After the decals have set I'll go with a coat of satin clear for the seat and door panels and then it'll be off to painting the details.

Edited by mustang1989

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, slusher said:

Engine looks sweet Joe, looking forward to some more interior work...

Thanks Carl. I'm workin' on it but can't post any photos till the weekend.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, ATHU said:

Fantastic build so far!!

Thanks Anders.

Got some more done on the interior yesterday morning. I'll be coming up with an idea for the black carpet and install a PE accelerator and brake pedal  and maybe throw a couple of items in the front seat. The dash panel I just test fitted into place and still have to do a lot of detail painting and apply a good gloss coat over the dash pad. I did away with the Foose decal on the medallion in the center of the seat and chromed it. I put an "embroidered" demon decal just under the medallion for a little interior snazz. These seat and interior decals were a little tricky to me and it seems like I may have needed a little stronger setting solution for them besides Microsol. I'm thinking something like Solvaset would have done a better job of settling them into the crevices but they didn't turn out too awful bad with around 8-10 coats of Microsol.

wuhXJm.jpg

Just for kicks I added a Hot Rod Magazine and tossed a set of PE keys attached to a scratchbuilt key ring in the seat. I also added a set of PE foot pedals and gave 'em a quick wash to spice things up in the interior a bit.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, KWT said:

Looking good Joe. A lot of nice detail work.

Thanks Jeremy!

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:35 PM, kelson said:

Lots of nice work on the interior,almost seems a shame to have to cover it up with the body.

Thanks Curtis. I know ...........right??!!!

Something about the "carpet" and the way I did it just did NOT agree with me. I textured the flooring by spraying some Rustoleum Textured paint from a spray can and then coated the textured paint with a coat of flat black. The more I looked at it the more I caught myself thinking that if I had flocked the flooring in black it would've had a slight semi gloss and some depth to it. The way I had it painted there was neither quality there. Just ..................................flat bland black was it. So I thought a minute......  pondering-smiley-emoticon.gif and decided to apply some Tamiya Clear in a light coating. The results turned out better to me.

To recap. Before:

and after. Just a tad bit more depth and more correct finish IMO:

I've also got the dash finished. I really don't consider this to be one of the better dashes I've done for two reasons. 1.) I think I could've done better and 2.) when I was done with this dash I had and still have the feeling of .......................that's it????!!!! I%20dunno_zpsgjbxiscc 

Any ways here's the dash:

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, slusher said:

Really sharp interior Joe!

Thanks Carl. Yes

Well guys since I couldn't use the wheels that I wanted I decided to use my favorites which are the Weld Draglites. The only problem with those are that 99.9999% of the rear wheels that I've seen whether they are resin or kit supplied have the bead locks on the wheel.......................which I do NOT want for a streetable vehicle.

Here's where we start. A set of resin Draglites from Competition Resins:

oi7quS.jpg

After some research I found what I want to coat the wheels with. This months issue of Scale Auto has a whole 5 page article devoted to the different methods of chrome coating and clearing. After reading through it I'll be going with the Molotow chrome with Spaz Stix Ultimate Clear both of which I ordered last night. Here's after removing the bead locks and drilling out all the wheel holes, center hole and the unused lug stud holes and cleaning it up a bit as compared to the untouched one on the right.

JhHdJn.jpg

I found a block of time last night to work on the interior so I could finish it up this morning:

4aLuoG.jpg

qIuPx6.jpg