Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

Anglia105E

Thanks a lot for your comments, Peter...... I am discovering ways to photograph the 1:43 scale models, which can appear just as realistic as the 1:24 scale models if they are carefully positioned in the right lighting. I agree, it is so much more satisfying to see the model cars in a realistic diorama setting than to see them in display cases or on glass shelves..... even worse, still in their original boxes, sealed and unopened!

David

On 9/15/2019 at 8:20 PM, Anglia105E said:

Thanks a lot for your comments, Peter...... I am discovering ways to photograph the 1:43 scale models, which can appear just as realistic as the 1:24 scale models if they are carefully positioned in the right lighting. I agree, it is so much more satisfying to see the model cars in a realistic diorama setting than to see them in display cases or on glass shelves..... even worse, still in their original boxes, sealed and unopened!

David

I agree 100%. I would like to devote more time to work like this...if life will allow it. I guess I can live vicariously through your models.

Eric, I just looked up the meaning of ' vicariously ' ........ and I see what you mean. Certainly, this type of work can be very time consuming, and we are not all fortunate enough to be able to organise our precious free time as we would wish. I shall try to keep this topic interesting, and I am always on the lookout for fresh ideas. Currently I am engaged in a loft conversion, as my serious hobby has demanded more floor space than my small house can provide. The property is what we refer to as a Grade II listed Arkwright cottage built in 1886 by Sir Richard Arkwright, for the workers of the first water powered cotton mill in the world. The walls are 2 feet thick granite stone and the pitch of the roof is quite low, so that I can only stand up in the centre of what will become an extra room. I guess however much space you have, it will soon fill up with more scale model cars!

David

Here we see the number 294 bus waiting at the bus stop, and just to the right there are some long shadows..... one of which is a gentleman in a bowler hat, who is about to take the bus into the city for his day at the office. This is the 1:43 scale diorama, and the AEC Regent RT London bus is by IXO.

David

101_1671.JPG

101_1672.JPG

101_1678.JPG

101_1679.JPG

101_1685.JPG

101_1694.JPG

This particular photo shoot shows the ground floor showroom of the Hooper & Co building, where the managing director and chief draughtsman Osmond Rivers is admiring a 1938 Rolls-Royce Phantom III....... it is late afternoon during Winter, and the portable heater has been brought out to maintain the showroom at a more comfortable temperature, both for the magnificent motor car and also the visiting customers. This is the 1:24 scale Hooper & Co diorama, the scale model car is a Danbury Mint diecast model and the figure is a 3D printed figure by Shapeways.

David

101_1730.JPG

101_1744.JPG

101_1759.JPG

101_1770.JPG

101_1779.JPG

Thank you, Gary........ having got to the stage where the Victorian terraced houses diorama in 1:43 scale is nearly completed, and work has not yet begun on the Acton factory diorama in 1:43 scale, I thought it was high time that I took a fresh look at the 1:24 scale diorama and try out a few new ideas in photography. The three Rolls-Royce Phantom III motor cars were given a gentle dusting and the scene was set....

David

101_1712.JPG

101_1714.JPG

As one who tuned out the world for well over 6 months, I must say the quality of your work, lighting, and photography has gone from "good" to "outstanding". It is as if that elusive corner we all seek has been turned.  Granted I am partial to B&W and an arrogant/ignorant Yank, but in some of your most recent pix, I half expect to see Winston Churchill or develop a hunger for a Hitchcock film...two very enjoyable things.

Thank you very much, JC for your words of appreciation....... I did wonder where you had got to over the past 6 months or more. Pleased to see that you are still producing outstanding diorama work. Having done a lot of work in 1:43 scale recently, I thought it would be refreshing to take a fresh look at my 1:24 scale diorama setting. More and more, I am finding that B&W photography does suit my 1950's period scenes better than full colour. For someone who pays a great deal of attention to specific colours, especially where cars are concerned, the resulting photos are many shades of grey of course. (no pun intended ).

David

Here we see that it is quite late in the day at Hooper & Co.......... a gentleman is standing beside the office desk, waiting to speak to Mr Rivers regarding the Rolls-Royce Phantom III that is just visible to the right. The exquisite Tiffany lampshade is casting long shadows across the ceiling from the soft light. Later, Mr Rivers enters the room and the two men discuss this fine motor car, standing on the plush crimson carpet. Perhaps Mr Rivers will offer the gentleman a box of cigars, from which to select a complimentary smoke. They have no need to hurry this conversation........ the right decision can be made at their leisure.

David

101_1808.JPG

101_1828.JPG

101_1832.JPG

101_1834.JPG

At first the red washed pic didn't trick my trigger but after reading the storyline and revisiting the pic a few days later, I could easily imagine an after hours deal going on. The table lamp lighting level is just enough. Imo,  emphasis goes on trying to make out details on the characters and the car. Strange how that works.

Keep it up. 

Edited by olsbooks

58 minutes ago, olsbooks said:

At first the red washed pic didn't trick my trigger but after reading the storyline and revisiting the pic a few days later, I could easily imagine an after hours deal going on. The table lamp lighting level is just enough. Imo,  emphasis goes on trying to make out details on the characters and the car. Strange how that works.

Keep it up. 

Thank you, JC...... there were many shots taken in this most recent photo shoot, and using different combinations of lighting. The red washed pic has only the  table lamp inside the 1:24 scale building and the overhead light in my study room, which is a low energy bulb. Normally the overhead light would be switched off while I use 100 watt daylight bulbs mainly.

David

1 hour ago, QbanFam said:

As always, outstanding work. You are a Master, Sir.

Thanks, Yordan...... I am following your work closely, because grass and water have not featured in my dioramas so far. You clearly have a feel for those diorama features, which I can learn from by observing.

David

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few photos, after a lengthy period of inactivity on the diorama front at least, showing a second Jaguar MK V motor car in 1:43 scale. This one is a soft top finished in black and I think it compliments the hard top version finished in brown quite nicely. Also, there is a Rolls-Royce 25/30 HP Thrupp & Maberley which is finished in burgundy, and this has been photographed alongside a Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn, which is finished in black and maroon. These two cars are similar in many ways, but there are some subtle differences between the two.

David

101_2186.JPG

101_2193.JPG

101_2194.JPG

101_2195.JPG

101_2205.JPG

101_2207.JPG

Consider my mind blown......

been looking at this on and off for a long time, and I’m always impressed, be it the subject matter, the actual building of the subject matter, or the photography of the whole she-bang, it’s all stunning......, it motivates and depresses me at the same time , lol. Fantastic work and photography!

19 hours ago, tbill said:

Consider my mind blown......

been looking at this on and off for a long time, and I’m always impressed, be it the subject matter, the actual building of the subject matter, or the photography of the whole she-bang, it’s all stunning......, it motivates and depresses me at the same time , lol. Fantastic work and photography!

Pleased to hear that you like what is going on here, Tom...... this is the 1:43 scale Victorian Houses diorama, which is more or less completed, The one previous to this is the 1:43 scale Hooper & Co coachbuilders showrooms diorama, which has been sold to a gentleman from Paris, France and the very first one that I built is a 1:24 scale Hooper & Co coachbuilders showrooms diorama. Sometime between now and June 2020 the fourth diorama will be built hopefully, which is going to be a 1:43 scale diorama of the Hooper factory as it was in 1959, located at Western Avenue, Park Royal, Acton, London.

I am trying to keep the photography interesting, and more model cars are being bought and built, in both scales, 1:24 and 1:43.

David

41 minutes ago, landman said:

Aaaahhhh!!! the Mark V.:rolleyes:

I presume that you like the Jaguar MK V, Pat ?  There is something about the car that appeals to me, and so I wanted to have a soft top version as well as the hardtop. As you know, the early 1950's period is of particular interest to me, for the Jaguar, Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I have painted and assembled a 3D printed Hexagonal Tree Bench in 1:24 scale, which fits nicely around the base of the tree for the 1:24 Hooper & Co diorama.

Here are a few photos to show the tree bench, just across the street from the Hooper & Co building, on Bennett Street. The motor car in these photos is a 1938 Rolls-Royce Phantom III, which is a diecast model by Danbury Mint and hand painted by myself in pale blue and light grey Revell Aqua Color acrylic.

David

100_1463.JPG

100_1471.JPG

100_1477.JPG

100_1501.JPG

100_1510.JPG

100_1518.JPG

100_1524.JPG

100_1525.JPG