Model Cars Magazine Forum

To thin or not to thin

Hi,

Thin for sure.

There website says 2/3 paint to 1/3 thinner, either X20A or there lacquer thinner;

https://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/thinning-paints-606#.WdQaoIqQyL8

I personally found that it varies from color to color.

The biggest advice I can give being newb myself is to do a test spray as that's the ONLY way I've found a ratio that works for me.

A fantastic site that I am really enjoying is;

http://paulbudzik.com/index.html

I think it will help me avoid becoming a paint strip master :)

It could help you too.

If you're airbrushing it, I've found the ModelMaster airbrush thinner to be much better than the standard hardware store paint thinner. (Paraffin for those in the UK)  It's better refined and dries better. That's all I use for thinning the ModelMaster paints, and it lays down well. 

If you're airbrushing it, I've found the ModelMaster airbrush thinner to be much better than the standard hardware store paint thinner. (Paraffin for those in the UK)  It's better refined and dries better. That's all I use for thinning the ModelMaster paints, and it lays down well. 

Unfortunately,the closest bottle is 500 miles away. I should have ordered some along with it. I do have some of the Metalizer thinner though. Probably a different formulation. What about mineral spirits?

Unfortunately,the closest bottle is 500 miles away. I should have ordered some along with it. I do have some of the Metalizer thinner though. Probably a different formulation. What about mineral spirits?

You must be way north. 

Good quality mineral spirits are a decent second choice. The ModelMaster thinner is high-quality mineral spirits. We have higher temperatures and lower humidity, so the slower drying time helps me a lot. Metalizer is a lacquer. You can also use lacquer thinner, or better yet, Xylene. Both are available at your local hardware store. Given your location, something that evaporates faster is probably better, so I would certainly try lacquer thinner. 

Whatever you do, test it on a plastic spoon first. 

The old Model Master paints were basically the same as old Testors PLA enamels. They could be tinned with Model master thinner (minaral spirits) or lacquer thinner. But aren't the new Model Master paints water-based acrylics?  Many of the hobby paint manufacturers seem to be going to the water-based paints.

The old Model Master paints were basically the same as old Testors PLA enamels. They could be tinned with Model master thinner (minaral spirits) or lacquer thinner. But aren't the new Model Master paints water-based acrylics?  Many of the hobby paint manufacturers seem to be going to the water-based paints.

They have three series, enamels, acrylics and lacquers.