Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sharpies for detailing?

Seems to be however I try not to handle the model wherever I've used the Sharpie just to be safe.

i do believe Snake45 on the forum here is the Sharpie King, if it weren't for him I probably would still be stumbling around with foil. I do have a 64 Thunderbolt that is ready for trim and I think the only way to go with it is foil, grrrr.

I've been using the Silver Sharpie for window trim and the like for six or eight years now. I love them so much that if they quit making them, I'd have to go back to building model airplanes. 

I also use a black one sometimes for minor detailing. A red one comes in handy for some taillights and side marker lights. 

I've been using the Silver Sharpie for window trim and the like for six or eight years now. I love them so much that if they quit making them, I'd have to go back to building model airplanes. 

I also use a black one sometimes for minor detailing. A red one comes in handy for some taillights and side marker lights. 

I tried a few practice runs last night! It is gold in my books! Screw the foil lol

There are some tricks, hacks, and workarounds when using the Silver Sharpie. One of these days I'll have a fit of industry and do a complete tutorial. 

Meanwhile, they're also great for wheel opening trim. I use them on diecasts, too. 

I tried a few practice runs last night! It is gold in my books! Screw the foil lol

My sentiments exactly. I can't use foil myself so was tickled pink when I found out about using Sharpies. I've been practicing with them and I think I've got it down pat now. I have to try different ways of doing things since I have loss of use in my right hand. Sharpies work much better than foil for me.

One of these days I'll have a fit of industry and do a complete tutorial.

Any type of tutorial on the Sharpies would be greatly appreciated, for sure.

Jack, one final note. If you aren't familiar with them, check out the new Molotow Chrome Pens. Kinda like a Sharpie, but with real chrome in them. It's a little different technique, but one you should be able to master.

My sentiments exactly. I can't use foil myself so was tickled pink when I found out about using Sharpies. I've been practicing with them and I think I've got it down pat now. I have to try different ways of doing things since I have loss of use in my right hand. Sharpies work much better than foil for me.

Any type of tutorial on the Sharpies would be greatly appreciated, for sure.

Jack, one final note. If you aren't familiar with them, check out the new Molotow Chrome Pens. Kinda like a Sharpie, but with real chrome in them. It's a little different technique, but one you should be able to master.

I have seen them im ordering some this eve! 

A red one comes in handy for some taillights and side marker lights. 

I've come to only use Sharpies to color in light lenses, because with a few applications you can get a good depth, and the fine point is much easier than a brush and jar paint. I find that 3 layers (let dry between each layer) is generally sufficient. I also find that for the amber lights, to use one layer of yellow first followed by two layers of orange.