Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's next for the automobile?

Do you guys remember the Goe Metro XFI 50mpg out of a 1 litre 3 banger?

I have two cars a 2.5 89 K-car, and a 1 litre 87 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint. the Sprint gets 40 mpg highway and 36 city, with 100hp and 10 pounds of boost. Fun as hell. the K-car gets 35 highway, 20 city.

Do you guys remember the Goe Metro XFI 50mpg out of a 1 litre 3 banger?

I have two cars a 2.5 89 K-car, and a 1 litre 87 Chevrolet Turbo Sprint. the Sprint gets 40 mpg highway and 36 city, with 100hp and 10 pounds of boost. Fun as hell. the K-car gets 35 highway, 20 city.

My first boss had one, it was so basic that it didn't even have full hubcaps, just plain argent wheels with silver dollar sized center caps, 3cyl/5-speed combo, and a radio. Kinda wish I could get my hands on a clean K-Car for cheap though!

Now THAT is cool as ######! :P 10 pounds? :D

That for your input Nick. Considering it has close to 300,000 km with out a rebuild, and still has good compression. The stock rating of 68hp from 7 pounds of boost. The only mods are a custom 2 inch exhaust, (up from 1 1/2 inch, no cats) and cold air filter set up. Out of a 996cc 3 banger, I think 100hp is a good. That in a car that weighs 1600 pounds it is quick, not fast, and fun to drive. It is not big enough for the family need so it is not my daily driver anymore but i still love to drive it. In 87 that was good.

The K-car is super clean, just rolled 130,000 km, but the AC doesn't work anymore. Had the original radio when I got it and all four of the stock hubcaps. It is a 2.5 4 banger with an automatic.

Edited by Robert81

Yup! That's the unmistakable sound of a rotary!!

Sounds like a few thousand angry bees at full song.........which is a neat thing! Another trademark of rotaries (to my hearing) is when the driver is shifting gears------speed shifting or not---- the engine doesn't have that RPM drop sound that a piston engine has.

It's subtle, but I notice it! :lol:

Yup! That's the unmistakable sound of a rotary!!

Sounds like a few thousand angry bees at full song.........which is a neat thing! Another trademark of rotaries (to my hearing) is when the driver is shifting gears------speed shifting or not---- the engine doesn't have that RPM drop sound that a piston engine has.

It's subtle, but I notice it! ;)

I did not know that and yup, gotta love the buzzing sound

Oh Chris, I'm rooting for the Speedsources in Grand Am, I think you already know that but I just love the sound of them, the PERFECT rotary sound for me! :P

love that sound, Dub, it's your favorite.

just listen to it on the banks!

I so want one or just an RX7 or and RX or Miata with a rotary

I know, hate me but I have a taste for THAT sound than an open header V8! :o:lol: :ph34r:

Edited by Nick F40

I did not know that and yup, gotta love the buzzing sound

Oh Chris, I'm rooting for the Speedsources in Grand Am, I think you already know that but I just love the sound of them, the PERFECT rotary sound for me! :P

love that sound, Dub, it's your favorite.

just listen to it on the banks!

I so want one or just an RX7 or and RX or Miata with a rotary

I know, hate me but I have a taste for THAT sound than an open header V8! :o:lol: :ph34r:

3 and 4 rotors are OK, it's the non-muffled 2 rotors I've heard at the dragstrip that I can't stand. I still liken the sound to a chainsaw in a bucket played through a megaphone. I just can't function with that noise really close to me. Rational thinking goes away.

;)

3 and 4 rotors are OK, it's the non-muffled 2 rotors I've heard at the dragstrip that I can't stand. I still liken the sound to a chainsaw in a bucket played through a megaphone. I just can't function with that noise really close to me. Rational thinking goes away.

:lol:

rofl.gif

you have to love the Speedsources!? ;)

Well those Celicas in those years were known as the japanese Mustang. ;) And that kind of sounds like my dad, he had a 76 Celica and a 280Z and loved them and said while they weren't that powerful they HANDLED which I would want and he said he had fun.

Sounds like an RX7 i'd be interested in huh? :huh:

Chris you are VERY lucky and I agree on the FD3S, they are fast lil buggers, I see plenty with 13B and 20B Bridgy's. I want one now.

Bill that is the coolest story I think you ever told, except for the squirrel and that is too cool, those rotorys really fly for how little they are and for how light but than again not many moving parts.

All these Mazda stories are getting to me, I'll have to look for one in my PA car shopping magazine. ;)

My two cents on the Rotary

When I was in Puerto Rico in `06, I got to witness an incredible bunch of Rotary's screaming down the 1/4.

I think the best one we saw was under six seconds, yes, six seconds, on the quarter mile.

Here's a short video of one of them.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/PuertoRicoRota...oRicoRotary.mov