Model Cars Magazine Forum

Me? doing a '32? Nahhh!!! It can't be!

ismaelg

Hey, nice work there so far Izzy! Thumbs up all the way, and keep it stock with the pace car decals as you originally planned.

The difference between the steel wheels on the Pace car and the wire wheels in the kit have me wondering what you are going to do....

I seem remember AMT 1936 Fords having something like the steel wheel as an accessory wheel cover.... Not sure if it will work, but the current kit on my shelve doesn't seem to have them. Anybody else remember what I mean?

I will check back from time to time and see your progress!

:mellow:

Hello,

This is most likely the last update for a while.

No car of mine will have such a gap in the firewall

DSCF7900-vi.jpg

DSCF7901-vi.jpg

Started the electrical wiring. I also added aluminum sleeves for eventually mounting the radiator support rods.

DSCF7904-vi.jpg

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm not posting as frequently as I used to but here is some older progress.

The bumpers are different between '32 and '33. The kit is a '32 and I need to make '33. I will attempt to do them in brass but in the meantime, since this project needs to be ready for an upcoming show, I did these for now.

DSCF7909-vi.jpg

The kit's bumpers are for a '32

DSCF7913-vi.jpg

DSCF7941-vi.jpg

Rusty Trusty roams with impunity

DSCF7919-vi.jpg

DSCF7928-vi.jpg

DSCF7952-vi.jpg

Getting there. Still not quite there yet but you get the idea....

This is just in case I don't finish the brass ones in time.

Thanks,

HELP ME!!!

I'm out of control!

I blame Bill Geary and Art Anderson for this :)

No wonder after more than 2 months of work there is not a single drop of paint yet on it......

What do you think?

Thanks,

:) Well Iz, for all your work so far, you COULD be like that nut who built the workin engine,pstons,crank,valves an so on, then put em in a sealed up block that no one well ever see! At least your work is out in the open for all to see an appericiate.just keep on truckin an see how far you can take it! Bill's got roll up windows in his builds(hint hint!) Oh, isn't that rascal a convertible?(more HINT) :D

In today's installment of this monologue:

We finally see some color. Hey! I'm already at step 1 of the instructions!!!

Which ones look better? the plastic pulleys with the generator in the air? or mine? :P Too bad it all goes painted in black. You can also see the block is a bit dirty of older oil and a hint of grime. It is hard to keep these things clean you know....

DSCF8015-vi.jpg

DSCF8017-vi.jpg

Thanks,

:lol: Yeesh Is,I had no idea they even HAD PACE CARS that far back! Well as usual If'n anybody can pull it off, YOU DA MAN!.Take a pic of it in your "garage" when it's done, that checkerboard floor will go great aganst that color! :P;)

The pace car for the "first" Indy 500 in 1911 (there were races as early as 1909) was a Stoddard-Dayton driven by Carl Fisher.

Terry

If I can not finish the car by the show, at least I can show the engine in the miscelaneous table :lol:

I really like it.

Flathead inline 8. Ferrari DID NOT invented the Testa Rossa (red head) ;)

DSCF8038-vi.jpg

DSCF8041-vi.jpg

DSCF8042-vi.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks,

Hey Izzy! I'm proud of ya man! Looks like you're having a great time with this build.

Somebody asked before, but I did not see an answer: What is your plan for the steel "artillery spoke" wheels? I'm thinking that I might have some beating around in metal that I did for a project that never came alive. Drop me a message if you want me to mount a search.....

Dave

TATO...THIS PROJECT IS MAKING ME DANCE THE CHARLESTON.

AND WATCH CASABLANCA.........MANO TE ESTA QUEDANDO

POR LA MASETA!!!!! I NEVER THOUGHT THAT AN ENGINE FROM

THAT ERA CAN LOOK AS AGRESSIVE AS THIS. LOVE THE RED

TOUCH ON THE HEAD COVER.....WHERE DID YOU GET THAT

IDEA...WAS THAT THE ORIGINAL SCHEME OR YOUR IDEA?

Thanks Danny,

That was original. The top of the line engine was the 385 cu in inline 8 with the head painted red. Appropriately, it was called the "red head". You see, Ferrari DID NOT invented the Testa Rossa (red head in italian). :(

As with most of my builds I try to go for historical accuracy. That's why I enjoy "factory stock" and "documented replica" builds.

Thanks,