Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1934 Duesenberg Town Car

Ironman63

I'm interested in building one of these, but from some of the pictures of the kit look like the roof is molded onto the body.  If anyone has the kit or has built one, how hard is it to paint the interior a different color from the body?  It looks like it might be difficult to mask and spray.  Thanks for any input.

5a3dcb5d8d472_1934DuesenbergTownCarMonogram.jpg.1a59087995d38ec49f02d774d2d1ad83.jpg

You

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Ironman63 said:

I'm interested in building one of these, but from some of the pictures of the kit look like the roof is molded onto the body.  If anyone has the kit or has built one, how hard is it to paint the interior a different color from the body?  It looks like it might be difficult to mask and spray.  Thanks for any input.

5a3dcb5d8d472_1934DuesenbergTownCarMonogram.jpg.1a59087995d38ec49f02d774d2d1ad83.jpg

You were asking about input about the kit. While I have had no problems with the interior of these models (aside from the fact that they are pretty basic) I have found a real weakness with the way the hubs and wheels attach to the axles. They way they are designed they have a nearly infinite rage of correct or incorrect attachment points. While I have not done so yet, for my next build of one of these I plan to make a jig (for both long and short wheelbase versions) that will hold the wheel/hub assembly in perfect alignment. That is not going to match the suggested build order in the kit but I think you will find you have a better model as a result. Hope this helps.

This is from the '70's . The spacing in the Grille is a giveaway . This is a Tribute Build from a Calendar in the day . The Customer chose the colors and interior appointments .  Has Toe out , I prefer steel axles :) . Getting the colors right is the only problem I had with this build .. Thanx .. 

1935 Dusenburgh TC HF.JPG

'35 DusenburghTC  r.JPG

1935 Dusenburgh TC F.JPG

On 12/26/2017 at 1:12 PM, Eric Macleod said:

You

You were asking about input about the kit. While I have had no problems with the interior of these models (aside from the fact that they are pretty basic) I have found a real weakness with the way the hubs and wheels attach to the axles. They way they are designed they have a nearly infinite rage of correct or incorrect attachment points. While I have not done so yet, for my next build of one of these I plan to make a jig (for both long and short wheelbase versions) that will hold the wheel/hub assembly in perfect alignment. That is not going to match the suggested build order in the kit but I think you will find you have a better model as a result. Hope this helps.

Sorry I haven't answered until now, but I have been in the hospital since noon on Sunday with no access.  I got out this morning and they say I'm going to live.  Man, was my wife disappointed. LOL

Eric, thanks for the tip about the wheel mounts.  I've always tried to have as much info before diving into something I've never built before.

On 12/26/2017 at 3:57 PM, dimaxion said:

This is from the '70's . The spacing in the Grille is a giveaway . This is a Tribute Build from a Calendar in the day . The Customer chose the colors and interior appointments .  Has Toe out , I prefer steel axles :) . Getting the colors right is the only problem I had with this build .. Thanx .. 

1935 Dusenburgh TC HF.JPG

'35 DusenburghTC  r.JPG

1935 Dusenburgh TC F.JPG

It turned out great.  The deal about having metal axles is not a bad idea.  I may try to make them if I can figure out a way.