Model Cars Magazine Forum

That'll buff right out.... Fujimi 356 needs some bodywork

ICMF

Bought a Testors release of the Fujimi Porsche 356 recently. It arrived today, a little bit worse for the trip. :P Is this actually salvageable, or would I be better off finding a replacement body instead? The rest of the kit's fine, just that the body's pretty pooched...

Frontal shot surveying the damage. Roof's split and squished off to the right side - all the pillars are bent or broken somewhere. The sides are also slanted to the right, and the entire body is notably warped:

DSCN4976.jpg

Side-view:

DSCN4977.jpg

Rear. Note the body's also cracked above the trunk:

DSCN4978.jpg

Top. Looks like the entire body is also skewed back along the left side:

DSCN4979.jpg

Close-up on the left pillars:

DSCN4980.jpg

...and the right side:

DSCN4981.jpg

Good view of the longitudinal warpage:

DSCN4982.jpg

Even more fun, looks like the left rear fender got crunched, so there's a bulge/bend out at the top of the wheel arch:

DSCN4984.jpg

And just to add insult to injury, the scoop braces are snapped along the bottom! Again, note the warpage:

DSCN4986.jpg

Amazing thing is, the box looked fine. The body looks like someone sat on it, but you'd never have guessed without opening the parcel. Not the most pleasant of surprises....

Anyway, I'm a little stumped. Fixing the snap above the trunk isn't a big deal. Fixing the roof once I get it raised back up shouldn't be a big deal. Actually raising it back up - fixing/straightening/aligning the pillars - has me a little nervous. Fixing the roof when the body is warped and skewed so I basically don't have anything square to work from, has me downright terrified. I'd *love* to hear any suggestions you guys might have. Or whether you think it's even worth trying - would I be better served just writing off this body and trying to find a replacement? (anybody have a spare they don't need?) How are Fujimi for sending replacements?

That body looks like toast. Too much widespread damage, you'll spend so much time monkeying with it with it most likely letting you down after a ton of work. If it were just the roof, or just one section...but with damage so widespread, the body crushed and twisted, I think you'll be better off (not financially, but in time and frustration) finding a better body.

On the bright side, you could use it in a body shop diorama. Either as a whole, wrecked car, or use the front clip as parts waiting for a job. (Yeah, I know, most body shops aren't gonna work on 356 Porsches.... I'm trying to be positive! :P:P )

Rear. Note the body's also cracked above the trunk:

DSCN4978.jpg

I hate to tell you this, but that's not the trunk :lol:

Seriously? I agree with the above posts that it's too far gone. I may have a spare body in much better shape that that one; email me and we can work something out.

I hate to tell you this, but that's not the trunk :D

Seriously? I agree with the above posts that it's too far gone. I may have a spare body in much better shape that that one; email me and we can work something out.

:lol:

He's right, this is the trunk. :o:lol:

DSCN4986.jpg

I wish I could help you out. I just don't have a spare 356 body.

It does look like what I thought this kit was going to look like after two weeks Ground/Air from Honk Kong in what amounted to a paper bag - and I paid extra for box shipping! :blink: I'd hate to see what the econo packaging would be like. ;)

crushed1.jpg

That was after straightening the box out just to get it open, which actually took some work, as the box was folded over itself in several places! Trying to be careful not want to damage anything any more than it already looked like it was. :lol:

And I am thinking great, there's a complete write off. I got this stupid think from Hong Kong and right someone's going to send a replacement. I am thinking to myself, "That's never going to happen."

I was pretty bummed out. :D:lol: So much for doing the first IROC car.

crushed2.jpg

Then I had to pry on the box more just to get the trees out. So it's in a lot better shape pictured here than when I received it. :P

I mean, it was mangled. :o

crushed3.jpg

Surprisingly, by some miracle not a single broken part, no warps, not so much as a scratch. Not even a single detatched part. I was trully shocked and relieved. :lol:

So I pretty confindent to say, that what happened to your body didn't happen while it was in the box.

Edited by CAL

I would get Jimmy Flintstone's Spyder resin kit and use all the parts on that!

now there is a bloody good idea.

The "Ebay" Porsche 550 RS Spyder body would go right on that 356 chassis.

Edited by CAL

Sounds like someones going to make lemonade.

What a mess. I bought a a Mercedes Lorinser kit through ebay and what arrived was an open box with flat pieces of model. Body, windows, interior all junk. It looked like the UPS truck ran it over. I was able to get my money back and purchase another kit. Not sure what I'll ever do with the other one, but I didn't have it in me to throw any of it away. Never know, I might be able to use something from it! LOL

Good Luck with whatever you do.

Chris

I hate to tell you this, but that's not the trunk :lol:

Yeesh, I've got a body that looks like this, and you guys are giving me greif over terminology?!? B) Actually, I couldn't decide what to go with - somehow 'hood' just seems wrong on a rear-engined car. Guess I should have stuck with 'bonnet'...

Anyway, final nail in the coffin, looks like there's some sort of weird bend/warp/bulge through the left front fender too (you can sort of see it in the side- and top-views), *almost* like it's heat-warped. Screw that, no *way* I can fix it. Actually, on closer inspection just now, it seems to be cracked across the top there too, like something was dropped across the top of that fender. And I've just noticed, there's a crack running down the left door. This is almost getting comical, like one of those "how many things are wrong with this picture" puzzles! :)

Dave, I'll be e-mailing you poste haste. Just in case you don't have a spare though, does anyone have experience getting spares from Fujimi? Who's importing them to the US/Canada now? Dragon?

Barring that, I've had the suggestion of doing a crash diorama, which I kinda like. What's a good way to simulate shattered glass?

Yeesh, I've got a body that looks like this, and you guys are giving me greif over terminology?!? B) Actually, I couldn't decide what to go with - somehow 'hood' just seems wrong on a rear-engined car. Guess I should have stuck with 'bonnet'...

Anyway, final nail in the coffin, looks like there's some sort of weird bend/warp/bulge through the left front fender too (you can sort of see it in the side- and top-views), *almost* like it's heat-warped. Screw that, no *way* I can fix it. Actually, on closer inspection just now, it seems to be cracked across the top there too, like something was dropped across the top of that fender. And I've just noticed, there's a crack running down the left door. This is almost getting comical, like one of those "how many things are wrong with this picture" puzzles! :)

Dave, I'll be e-mailing you poste haste. Just in case you don't have a spare though, does anyone have experience getting spares from Fujimi? Who's importing them to the US/Canada now? Dragon?

Barring that, I've had the suggestion of doing a crash diorama, which I kinda like. What's a good way to simulate shattered glass?

Engine cover works... I know bonnet refers to the engine cover but I thought there was a secondary rule about it also being in the front. Goofy Brits.

Nobody directly. They are all coming limited 3rd party now, since Fujiimi packed up and left their warehouse on the west coast.

Getting a replace from Fujimi might be near impossible now.

I'd just get that 550 body, which requires a Fujimi 356 kit to complete.

Edited by CAL

I would write to whoever you bought the kit from and enclose a few of those pix, and ask them to make it right. If that doesn't work, write to the manufacturer, again with pix, and ask for a new body, and perhaps mention how the supplier shipped it to you.

I wish I could help you out. I just don't have a spare 356 body.

It does look like what I thought this kit was going to look like after two weeks Ground/Air from Honk Kong in what amounted to a paper bag - and I paid extra for box shipping! :blink: I'd hate to see what the econo packaging would be like. :huh:

crushed1.jpg

That was after straightening the box out just to get it open, which actually took some work, as the box was folded over itself in several places! Trying to be careful not want to damage anything any more than it already looked like it was. B)

And I am thinking great, there's a complete write off. I got this stupid think from Hong Kong and right someone's going to send a replacement. I am thinking to myself, "That's never going to happen."

I was pretty bummed out. :lol::) So much for doing the first IROC car.

crushed2.jpg

Then I had to pry on the box more just to get the trees out. So it's in a lot better shape pictured here than when I received it. :o

I mean, it was mangled. ;)

crushed3.jpg

Surprisingly, by some miracle not a single broken part, no warps, not so much as a scratch. Not even a single detatched part. I was trully shocked and relieved. :D

So I pretty confindent to say, that what happened to your body didn't happen while it was in the box.

I gots that kit......and in PERFECT condition! :P

Well that sucks, but hopefully you'll be able to work with it and get parts and yes, you should stick with bonnet. :P

You could try going through Testors. I ended up with a bunch of out of production Italeri kits with defects and Testors took care of them as best they could. They just couldn't replace the 5 Maultiers but gave 5 Opel Blitzs instead.

I gots that kit......and in PERFECT condition! B)

Well that sucks, but hopefully you'll be able to work with it and get parts and yes, you should stick with bonnet. :)

The kit is in perfect condition. The box is a little distressed though.

:lol: ....why do you think I have a spare 356 body laying around? Got my 550 from Jimmy at the NNL East.

See I knew there had to be a good reason, how many have Fujimi 356 body laying around.

• 2 months later...
Looks like ICMF has gone 'M.I.A.' I've tried to reach him several times via PM to send the 356 body, but he seems to have vanished. :)

There is always the 550 RS Spyder route, which IMHO is much more sexy....

• 2 years later...