Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Starliner reissue headers?

fairlane1320

Are you sure it's a 0, because these long cast iron exhaust manifolds weren't available in 1960, the first set of long cast iron headers had casting number C2AE-9430-B for the passenger side and C3AE-9431-D for the drivers side to make the pair and they were for 1963-64 406 and 427,  and the second set wich came later for the 1965-67 427 had casting numbers C5AE-9430-H or K for the passenger side and C5AE-9431-C for the drivers side, no other long cast iron headers was available from the factory.
The shorter cast iron headers was available with C0AE,  C1AE and C2AE casting numbers for the 352 and 390 High Performance engines and the 406 1960-62.
The third digit A stands for "Galaxie" after 1958, before that "Generic" Ford, some other examples are D for Falcon, Mercury is M after 1958, Cougar is W, Fairlane is O, Thunderbird is S after 1958, Mustang is Z.
The fourth digit E stands for "Engine" so it's an engine part, if the fourth digit is a C it's a chassis part, if it's M it's a high performance part, if it's Z it's a Ford Service Part

Edited by Force

19 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Why would it have 427 headers?

I don't know but it also has the 2X4 bbl setup for the 427 and the 3X2 bbl setup for the 390 and 406...they weren't available in 1960 either.
But these things together with the cast iron headers are from the Custom version and AMT must have thought it was a good idea to include these parts...and I'm thankful for that as they are great.

Edited by Force

4 hours ago, Force said:

I don't know but it also has the 2X4 bbl setup for the 427 and the 3X2 bbl setup for the 390 and 406...they weren't available in 1960 either.
But these things together with the cast iron headers are from the Custom version and AMT must have thought it was a good idea to include these parts...and I'm thankful for that as they are great.

OK, I've only built the stock version. Did not know they came in the custom version. Good to know.

6 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

"Upon further review ..." 

Those do look like they might be a "C5" or even "C6" ; can't be certain due to the angle / lighting on those manifolds ...

Thanks for the refresher , Håkan B)

As Ford only made two different versions of the long cast iron headers it's not that hard to decide what version of manifolds they are.
It's a little hard to see but if you enlarge the picture to original size you can see that the casting numbers ends with 9430-B and 9431-D so the manifolds have to be C2AE-9430-B and C3AE-9431-D and they are right for 1963-64, they can't be the C5 manifolds as the numbers on them ends with -H or -K and -C.

Edited by Force

On 2/10/2018 at 10:59 AM, 1972coronet said:

Looks like the headers in the photo have a "C0AE" part number prefix :

C = 1960's

0 = 1960

Forgotten what the "A" and "E" indicate , other than designated car line .

A indicates Galaxie, E is the engineering revision level suffix

Edited by garagepunk66