Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Chevy Malibu 4-Door Sedan...Promo?

Stumbled across this on eBay and saved a few of the pics. Is this an original promo? It sure looks like an AMT promotional model with the model year cast into the license plate areas on the bumpers and the like colored interior and body parts. It even has a separate hood, though I'm not sure that's original?

64chevy1.jpg.449f015fea3644dd45fb294acc861807.jpg

64chevy2.jpg

64chevy3.jpg

64chevy4.jpg

64chevy5.jpg

Edited by Casey

I like it..!!!   I have an original AMT 64 Chevelle/Malibu SS HT promo from my dads old collection its molded in a gold-ish color no opening hood.  Mine needs restored yet just have not been able to find the parts to just yet that I can afford....needs bumpers,,glass and front posts.   AMT did make a kit of the 64 2 door..Elcamino...and wagon once most parts from these will interchange with the others and the promos as well.   Be nice to see them make a comeback to the shelves for us someday.   

A couple of things stand out to me. The open hood I think removes the possibility of this being a Promo. I know of no Promos that had that feature. The year model cast in the Bumpers was a common feature in kits and Promos at that time. Mark mentioned the possibility of a Wagon kit converted to a Sedan and I think that would be the most likely. ChrisBcritter mentioned the SS emblem on the Trunk Lid and this opens another possibility. I didn't even notice the SS emblem at first but what got my attention was the '65 Malibu 396 SS Deck lid. First the Tail Lights are noticeable as being '65s and not '64s. The Trunk Lid Chrome trim is distinctly that of the unique '65 Malibu SS 396. Who ever created this body did an excellent job but the source of some of the body features would lead you to see where the body parts came from.