Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy E/S

I've wanted to do a car from the "Junior Stock" classes for some time.  I wanted a '59 Chevy (we had one) but couldn't find a kit.

I got a Revell Black Widow kit and painted it in reverse colors.  Model is OOB except for chassis mods.

57es1.thumb.jpg.5517ee1c4912b27c56aa8f693f18a55d.jpg

Completed chassis. Note slicks, traction bars and driveshaft support.  NHRA made you keep an "equivalent" stock exhaust with a cutout. I fabricated glasspack mufflers.

57es2.jpg.bd598a773513ae239cca81b38f0e6288.jpg 

I added the Cragar wheels. Competition number and class were many times painted on the window with white shoe polish at the track, despite what was painted on the side of the car.

57es4.jpg.1f7df2b3b3c007453d8499992f008b6f.jpg

Decals are a mix of kit decals, Gofer contingency and home made.

57es5.jpg.286c180bc9984e31df58c7796b65957d.jpg

Only change to the kit engine was replacing the "ram horn" manifolds with parts box headers.

Really nice job.  Seems like most chevy stockers had fenderwell headers, though, and 7 inch “cheater” slicks ( had 2 grooves in the tire).  Your slicks look like 9 inch tires which came later on, of course.  Your car sure takes me back to those days.  Thanks for posting.

Mr. R. Thorne:  Thanks for your observations. You have a keen eye. My aim was to have a '57 stocker that was run into the late '60s.

• I didn't want to spend the time to fabricate fenderwell headers.  A lot of stockers had them according to my research. They do look cool too.
  • The slicks were the narrowest I had. Luckily, the body came with thinner material in this area, so I was able to "massage" a slight bulge.  NHRA did allow full slicks in the late '60s.  The sticky at the top of this forum with the rules was really helpful.

If you will check the 1969 rule book, you will see that they were limited to 7 inch grooved tires.  I understand on the headers and please don’t misconstrue my comments as being overly critical.  It ‘s just that I was there and ran in stock in that time frame (ran a 1953 Oldsmobile), so this stuff is more familiar to me.  Anyway, great model.  Ron.

• 5 months later...