Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '53 Chevy Sectioned Custom

Lunajammer

This is my entry into the Cannonball CBP down below, but as a matter of a searchable record I want this presented here in a separate, comprehensive thread.

Like many Monogram models of that era ('69 Camaro, '57 Nomad), the 53 is so disproportionate it welcomes body mods. The trunk is too long and I considered sectioning that but, nah. 

Monogram53ChevKit-vi.jpg

A scale 6-inches ready to be cut laterally throughout the car, which includes the interior bucket and engine compartment. Quarter inch tape demarcates well.

SideTapedforCut-vi.jpg

Just enough room in the back to get away with it.

RearTapedforCut-vi.jpg

I wanted to do this on a relatively low parts count kit. Fewer parts to cut and fewer headaches over fiddly stuff. The rounded rear fender will be the achilles heal. I'm also not going to try and preserve any side trim.

BodyCutUp-vi.jpg

There are one or two places that make sectioning intuitive, like in the interior bucket. The cut will be easy to hide. The deep draw of the lower engine bay also is forgiving of taking out a quarter inch.

BodyInteriorSectioned-vi.jpg

BodySectionedProfile-vi.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

25 minutes ago, mike 51 said:

...way better than shortening the trunk!

I was considering the lateral section AND shortening the trunk, I think it would look more proportional, but I also know that's about the tipping point of how much I want to do here and I'd end up losing interest and... and... zzzzzzzz.

I've never cared for the notchback c-pillar in the mid 50's so I'm changing that. I'm not specifically trying to make it a Chevy 210, but it can't help remind you of one.

CPillarRevised-vi.jpg

To lighten the front and rear ends, I've cut up a Corvette bumper, flipped it over and widened it at the middle. Gives it a little more grace than the stock slab bumpers. The front may have separate, unjoined, similar pieces, I'm still fiddling with those. The trunk will be re-scored pretty much where you can almost see the mold seam line.

LRearBumperMocked-vi.jpg

RRearBumperMocked-vi.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer

I'm liking that rear bumper. I've been trying to figure out a front bumper for a similar 49-ish custom I'm working on. It's loosely based on Hot Rod & Custom Stuff's M80, a Ridler award winner from a few years ago. Maybe some thing like that will work.

I like the bumper idea, but something to think about with the trunk lid is would the trunk lid clear the upturned bumper guards ? I know its just plastic and you're going to leave the trunk closed but it would be an issue in reality. I'm n ot a big fan of the head light design either, but it's your build. My thought is that the pointed edges conflict with the otherwise smooth design. Maybe just soften the points a little. If you can find some front Corvette bumpers that would work on the front. I like your little change to the rear quarter windows. The rear window design might want to reflect the same rounded edges to match. This is going to be a really nice Kustom.  

9 hours ago, espo said:

I like the bumper idea, but something to think about with the trunk lid is would the trunk lid clear the upturned bumper guards ? I know its just plastic and you're going to leave the trunk closed but it would be an issue in reality. I'm n ot a big fan of the head light design either, but it's your build. My thought is that the pointed edges conflict with the otherwise smooth design. Maybe just soften the points a little. If you can find some front Corvette bumpers that would work on the front. I like your little change to the rear quarter windows. The rear window design might want to reflect the same rounded edges to match. This is going to be a really nice Kustom.  

Those are all valid points and I appreciate them. Per above, the trunk lid will be re-scored along the mold separation line which will not only clear the bumpers but lighten the lid.

The rear window has already been rounded some, the pic was taken while glue was setting.

@you and Mike 51, I'd seen what you see and sent the parts back to the box, but I wanted something dramatic for the otherwise flat headlights but didn't want to just french them. I've gone back to the hideous pointy buckets. I think I can work out something acceptable. 

All you guys, thanks for the honest comments and insights. Keep it up.

If you cover the top 1/3 of each headlight (no extension), you could give the front a modern, agro look to go with the new grille.  Good work on the rear window.  I imagine you're planning to lower the suspension maybe 1/8 inch?  This is coming along very well.

3 hours ago, GerN said:

If you cover the top 1/3 of each headlight (no extension), you could give the front a modern, agro look to go with the new grille.  Good work on the rear window.  I imagine you're planning to lower the suspension maybe 1/8 inch?  This is coming along very well.

Thanks for the input Gerald. I hadn't heard the term "agro" before, but I think I know what you mean. I had to decide early on what era this car should be, then stay true to it. Since I'm using the kit's straight 235 and a classic custom grill, I figure I should stay consistent with an old school custom. It would be SO easy to slide into a modern build and it would look killer, so I need to exercise restraint and stay consistent.

I'll revisit ride height when I choose wheels.

Thanks Dennis, I did slide the grill opening up and cut away plastic from under the headlights to make room. So far it doesn't bother me.

Thanks for your insights. All  comments, critiques and observations are welcome. In my business (advertising) personal opinions and shared knowledge is considered teamwork.

Side reshaped....

SideReshaped-vi.jpg

Sorry guys! :lol:  I committed to the hideous headlight buckets. Per recent suggestions I might still knock down some of the pointiness. No pics yet, but I've finessed the rear window and added window trim. New side trim is almost done. Getting ready for primer.

FrontReadyforPrimer-vi.jpg

Edited by Lunajammer