Model Cars Magazine Forum

GS Corvette #003

James2

Like many of us I never could build one model at a time. So while working on the Johnny Cash Roadster and a couple others! I began working on this Corvette.

My favorite driver has always been AJ Foyt and knowing that he had a hand in the GS project only inspired me more to build a model of his car.

Grand Sport Corvette and AJ Foyt what better combo could there ever be...

The VRM decals look great...

IMG_6699-vi.jpg

Why they molded the hollow frame this way we may never know. But I did manage to get things filled in using styrene rod and plastic filler.

IMG_6700-vi.jpg

One thing I changed is the battery location. This took removal of the spare tire and the frame mount for the kit battery location/

IMG_6718-vi.jpg

Re assembled...

IMG_6722-vi.jpg

Edited by James2

Tip for filling in the slots on the chassis:

Instead of using plastic filler and/or rods, use Magic-Sculpt, or some other similar two part epoxy putty. Just squeeze the Magic-Sculpt into the cavities and, using a wet finger, smooth the epoxy down to match the contours. The putty doesn't shrink when dry and there isn't the possibility of warpage as there is when using solvents to bond the styrene rods. Once the epoxy is dry, you'll only need to use a medium sanding stick/ paper for final shaping.

If memory serves, Accurate Miniatures indicated they deliberately molded the frame that way to prevent shrinkage due to the amount of plastic that would have been needed to create a solid frame.  When their site was active, they had a tips section that mentioned this and suggested one use plastic rod as a filler.

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Tip for filling in the slots on the chassis:

Instead of using plastic filler and/or rods, use Magic-Sculpt, or some other similar two part epoxy putty....

Excellent advice.

I'd tend to stay away from "bondo" (polyester) types of fillers for this, as they can warp during initial cure if the substrate isn't absolutely rigid.

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

If memory serves, Accurate Miniatures indicated they deliberately molded the frame that way to prevent shrinkage due to the amount of plastic that would have been needed to create a solid frame.  When their site was active, they had a tips section that mentioned this and suggested one use plastic rod as a filler.

I agree, but why do so on the visible side!

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Excellent advice.

I'd tend to stay away from "bondo" (polyester) types of fillers for this, as they can warp during initial cure if the substrate isn't absolutely rigid.

Yes also, I used a combo of styrene and liquid cement. And by fitting all the styrene then glueing it suffered no warps.

Thanks

I think your build will be fine. I have one of those started. The paint on the body did not work out right, so it has to be repainted. I used plastic rod and super glue to fill the voids in the chassis.  That worked out well after some putty work to blend it in. I also used the Model Car Garage detail set.

• 2 months later...

I have the chassis in primer and have begun assembling the engine. I was able to pick up a new Paasche VL dbl action on sale at H.Lobby for the great price of $35. I can finally do some paint work.  DB let me borrow his book so this project can continue...

Pix to follow

I someone had the time and resources, several of these kits could be built reflecting the different configurations under which these cars raced.

There was Nassau '63 (Mecom), Sebring '64 (three versions) and Sebring '65 with the big block engine.

It's all in the book.

Excellent reference pics on the restoration of Corvette Grand Sport #004 here

6 hours ago, Lizard Racing said:

I someone had the time and resources, several of these kits could be built reflecting the different configurations under which these cars raced.

There was Nassau '63 (Mecom), Sebring '64 (three versions) and Sebring '65 with the big block engine.

I'm fortunate to have both. I plan on building all of the various versions. I have nine of these AM kits and am always on the prowl for another. :D 

5 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

... I have nine of these AM kits and am always on the prowl for another. :D 

I bought a small boat load a couple years back when somebody was blowing out old stock cheap with unassembled boxes, no PE.

It's a fantastic kit.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I'm having fun now...

2v2JGweS8xAghwd.jpg

So I do have the PE parts and can figure out what most of them are. But some pieces leave me wondering. It looks like the best way to use the rear oil cooler is to remove the molded on one and fab up my own lines.

I'm curious to know if there is an instruction sheet availible?

2v2JGwZBgxAghwd.jpg

I'm assuming you have kit No. 5000, Corvette Factory Racer. PE assembly and placement is shown in the instruction sheet. 

If I saw this thread early into the construction, I would've recommended  Model Car Garage's  MCG-2086 Corvette Grand Sport Multimedia Detail Set. This set contains everything, including a resin oil cooler. 

Image result for model car garage mcg 2086  corvette grand sport detail set

• James2 changed the title to GS Corvette #003