Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Super Spyder Monza re-release

Trebor

On 11/4/2018 at 2:02 AM, horsepower said:

Wasn't the AMT Monza reissue the one with the funky looking Vega type nose?

Maybe you're thinking of the old MPC 1978 "Chevy Sportback" Monza 'S' kit, which was modified into the MPC  "Twister Vega", and later reissued under the AMT brand?

This would more accurately be described as a Vega with a Monza-type nose (which is what the 1:1 1978 Monza 'S' basically was).  This kit is how the line of MPC Vega annual kits ended up.

Several years ago Round 2 announced that they would be reissuing the Bruce Larson USA-1 Vega Pro Stock kit, which of course would mean they would have to backdate this tooling to turn it back into a proper Vega again.  It was delayed several times before being dropped from their list of future releases.  Not sure if any explanation was given.

Maybe Round 2 bit off more than they could chew as far as the required tooling changes?  Maybe it's even possible that something catastrophic happened to the tool while it was being modified, and now it's dead in the water?  All I know is that it's not too common for Round 2 to do a complete cancellation of a kit release like this, which makes me think there's a pretty major reason they've decided to give up on it.

I also suspect that whatever the problem is, it occurred after they already began work on modifying the old "Twister Vega" tooling, so my gut tells me even that might not be possible to reissue any more. (But note: that's pure speculation on my part...)

mpc-1978-chevy-monza-sportback-stock_1_ef8b3bd166673037dfe08c75da42a0ae.jpg

twister-vega-25-model-kit-mpc_1_6452803161a2ce74e3ca72df336d1f24.jpg

amt-twister-vega-model-kit_1_d0f2f65611495c38a574383a68a363e1.jpg

20 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Maybe you're thinking of the old MPC 1978 "Chevy Sportback" Monza 'S' kit, which was modified into the MPC  "Twister Vega", and later reissued under the AMT brand?

This would more accurately be described as a Vega with a Monza-type nose (which is what the 1:1 1978 Monza 'S' basically was).  This kit is how the line of MPC Vega annual kits ended up.

Several years ago Round 2 announced that they would be reissuing the Bruce Larson USA-1 Vega Pro Stock kit, which of course would mean they would have to backdate this tooling to turn it back into a proper Vega again.  It was delayed several times before being dropped from their list of future releases.  Not sure if any explanation was given.

Maybe Round 2 bit off more than they could chew as far as the required tooling changes?  Maybe it's even possible that something catastrophic happened to the tool while it was being modified, and now it's dead in the water?  All I know is that it's not too common for Round 2 to do a complete cancellation of a kit release like this, which makes me think there's a pretty major reason they've decided to give up on it.

I also suspect that whatever the problem is, it occurred after they already began work on modifying the old "Twister Vega" tooling, so my gut tells me even that might not be possible to reissue any more. (But note: that's pure speculation on my part...)

mpc-1978-chevy-monza-sportback-stock_1_ef8b3bd166673037dfe08c75da42a0ae.jpg

twister-vega-25-model-kit-mpc_1_6452803161a2ce74e3ca72df336d1f24.jpg

amt-twister-vega-model-kit_1_d0f2f65611495c38a574383a68a363e1.jpg

How do you get a Monza out of a Vega? Two totally different cars

Image result for Chevy Vega

Image result for vega vs monza

14 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

1980-Chevrolet-Ad-002.jpg

MonzaCoupeWagon.jpg

The red hatchback in the above image is the Monza 'S' coupe, which is the body style depicted in the MPC "Twister Vega" kit.  Yeah, it's pretty much the old Vega body with the nose from the "Monza" wagon, which itself was just a facelifted and renamed Vega wagon.

I was just trying to figure out which kit Horsepower was asking about. Since the Twister Vega kit was basically a Vega/Monza mashup (just like the 1:1 cars), I guessed that might be what he was thinking of.

I think I've succeeded in completely derailing this thread...

Edited by Robberbaron

• 3 years later...