Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Super Spyder Monza re-release

Trebor

I built this kit in 1979 and had it for years after until once I moved house. During that transition it vanished. Was one of my alltime favourites. Anyways, would be a real treat if it were to be re-released ??

monza.jpg

Edited by Trebor
Add picture

11 hours ago, Trebor said:

would be a real treat if it were to be re-released

Sorry, but no. This kit and it's closely related siblings (Mustang II Cobras, Sunbird, etc.) are rather poor models, and share a generic separate frame(!), suspension, floorpan, V-8 engine, etc., and originated during Revell's worst era. Having built the Lightning Rods Monza kit, I would never recommend any of these to another builder.

46 minutes ago, Casey said:

Sorry, but no. This kit and it's closely related siblings (Mustang II Cobras, Sunbird, etc.) are rather poor models, and share a generic separate frame(!), suspension, floorpan, V-8 engine, etc., and originated during Revell's worst era. Having built the Lightning Rods Monza kit, I would never recommend any of these to another builder.

I bought one of those, eventually going to put the C6 ZR1 under itB)

The MPC Monza wasn’t so bad...last seen as the “Pro Street Monza”, it had similar IMSA flares, and other custom goodies. You could still build a stock-ish Monza, too - I think the only things for a stock build the last MPC issue didn’t have were stock wheels and tires. The only downside to the MPC Monza was that the rear axle was molded in to the chassis.

Round 2 reissued their AMT Monza back about a year ago...maybe that will scratch your itch? Or maybe Round 2 will also run the MPC version, much like they did with the AMT and MPC Pacers?

Edited by CapSat 6

16 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

The MPC Monza wasn’t so bad...last seen as the “Pro Street Monza”, it had similar IMSA flares, and other custom goodies. You could still build a stock-ish Monza, too - I think the only things for a stock build the last MPC issue didn’t have were stock wheels and tires. The only downside to the MPC Monza was that the rear axle was molded in to the chassis.

Round 2 reissued their AMT Monza back about a year ago...maybe that will scratch your itch? Or maybe Round 2 will also run the MPC version, much like they did with the AMT and MPC Pacers?

I just dug out and finished up an MPC '77 Monza that I started back in the '80s. Meanwhile, last year I came into this "distressed" '76 promo that I'm gonna try to fix. Oh, I can fix it all right, the tough part will be matching the cool lime metallic paint...but I'm working on some ideas....

76Monza01.jpg

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I just dug out and finished up an MPC '77 Monza that I started back in the '80s. Meanwhile, last year I came into this "distressed" '76 promo that I'm gonna try to fix. Oh, I can fix it all right, the tough part will be matching the cool lime metallic paint...but I'm working on some ideas....

76Monza01.jpg

What happened to that front bumper? Looks like it got caught in a sanding wheel. Poor thing.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

What happened to that front bumper? Looks like it got caught in a sanding wheel. Poor thing.

It's not just the front bumper. All the bodywork at that corner is just gone. 

The rear bumper is missing completely, too. But it looks like it should be easy enough to scratchbuild that, especially since I can just paint it all-black to match the front (molded in black plastic). 

The poor little thing is just too nice otherwise to chop up. 

5 hours ago, Snake45 said:

76Monza01.jpg

Snake, that color is '76 Chevy code 40 "lime poly". Scale Finishes has it.

44 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Snake, that color is '76 Chevy code 40 "lime poly". Scale Finishes has it.

Thanks. I'm not 100% sure that what MPC used on the promo is really actual authentic "code 40 lime poly." They might well have used whatever they could get cheap that was close. And I'm not wild about spending, what, $15 for enough paint to paint about one square inch. 

I found a craft acryic that's pretty close (it's even metallic). I think I can tweak it to an acceptable match. 

The MPC Monza bodies are by far the most accurate, and most people still don't care much about the promos.  About 2 years ago I scored a mint condition red one for $10 (two-fer deal with a '78 Monte promo, $20 for the pair).

Also just got one of the AMT reissues on Friday from Spotlight Hobbies on closeout.  Body doesn't look quite as accurate as the MPCs, but I haven't compared them side by side yet.  However, it does have separate drivetrain and exhaust.  Also a nice platform-type interior with two different dashes and steering wheels.

If you want to build a nice, full detail Monza, I think the way to go is to use an MPC promo body combined with everything else from the AMT kit.  From what I've seen of the Revell, it's not worth much more than the cost of the plastic it's molded in.

Edited by Robberbaron

On 5/12/2018 at 3:48 PM, Casey said:

As a kit, I'll agree they aren't worth spit. But as a truly unique subject there are lots of options. I put this body on a shortened stock car chassis for the very first Cannonball CBP over ten years ago. It's still a favorite. The Captain Chaos Special.

100_0985.JPG

Edited by Jantrix

I have a whole slew of Monzas. I think I have 4 promos from '75-'77, and none of them cost more than $20. Last year I scored an MPC '75 Annual kit, but I don't recall what I paid for it. I think the AMT Monza looks too wide and kind of "flat", for lack of a better term. Robberbaron, I agree with you--the way to go would be to use the MPC body with the guts from the AMT kit.

On 5/13/2018 at 4:36 PM, Snake45 said:

It's not just the front bumper. All the bodywork at that corner is just gone. 

The rear bumper is missing completely, too. But it looks like it should be easy enough to scratchbuild that, especially since I can just paint it all-black to match the front (molded in black plastic). 

The poor little thing is just too nice otherwise to chop up. 

I was going through a box of parts, and came across this. Let me have a mailing address, and it's yours!

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3819.JPG

• 5 months later...

I had one of those Monroe Mustang IIs at one time. Last year I got in the mood to build it and couldn't find it. I think maybe I took it to a club meeting and sold it for $5 or something. The same thing happened a while back when I got the urge to build a TA-4 Skyhawk jet I'd had in the stash for decades. It's nowhere to be found--I must have gotten rid of it. :angry:

On 5/12/2018 at 8:09 PM, CapSat 6 said:

Wasn't the AMT Monza reissue the one with the funky looking Vega type nose?

On 11/2/2018 at 7:49 PM, Snake45 said:

I had one of those Monroe Mustang IIs at one time. Last year I got in the mood to build it and couldn't find it. I think maybe I took it to a club meeting and sold it for $5 or something. The same thing happened a while back when I got the urge to build a TA-4 Skyhawk jet I'd had in the stash for decades. It's nowhere to be found--I must have gotten rid of it. :angry:

I bought a box of Mustang II stuff a few years ago at an NNL West show because it had one of the rare '74 bodies in it and I dug it out last year to see what all was in the box and to my surprise it had two of the Monroe Mustang II bodies in the box with the hatches being the only missing yellow molded part, but I can rob them from a couple of other kits I have laying around. I was doing my happy dance! ?