Model Cars Magazine Forum

Camaro Convertible Question

6 minutes ago, DumpyDan said:

104 people read this post, doesn't anyone know if they made a up top for a 69 Camaro in a kit?

I find that a lot Dan, you will get 10 times the reads as you will the replies. anyways, I may be here to frustrate you a little more. I know of a model club friend that had an up top on a 67/68 Camaro, but he doesn't remember where it came from. so, good news is I have seen one, bad news is I have no leads. sorry.

and as far as 104 reads on your post, maybe if you find this up top, there are 104 people out there that will buy it if you cast it.

I know that AMT issued a '69 Camaro Convertible that has been reissued several times, but I don't think the Up Top was in the box. A thought would be to use the Hard Top model body and add some seems and reshape the rear window a little and create your own. This could be made even easier if you never intended to display it with the top removed.

Edited by espo

There used to be an outfit called R&R Vacuumcraft  (I think) that did one, but they're long OOB. They did a lot of vac-formed convertible uptops. At one time I bought a couple of them but as I recall they didn't really fit all that well.

13 hours ago, Modlguy said:

I believe this iteration of the AMT '68 Camaro had an uptop, although it's not shown on the box. Hard to find but some are out there.

This is the image that goes with my post above. The old AMT '68 Camaro.

AMT-6618-2.jpg

As far as I know, I've never seen a proper uptop for any of the Camaro convertibles made. There may be one in the '68 as mentioned, but if it's the same one I saw years ago, it looked a lot like the hardtop shape wise, without the proper "droops" and "sags" that an uptop should have.

Frankly, that's one of my biggest gripes with a number of the soft tops available. They're usually molded much to blocky looking, and not much like the 1:1 at all the way I see them. The biggest offender to me would be the top out of Revell's '65 Mustang convertible kit. Waaaay too blocky, and with some sanding of the top bows, you could probably make a hardtop out of it.

I do remember those tops that R&R made years ago, and in fact I had one. It may have been for the Camaro, but as Snake said, they didn't fit well at all, and they were quite flimsy. If you bent or twisted it a little too hard to get it to fit, it would "tear". This was due to how thin they were vacuformed, and you had to treat them very gently IIRC.

Frankly, you guys know me...........I would modify the heck out of the Camaro's hardtop. At least you would have the proper width and length, and of course, I'd have to have those "droops" and sags" as to me that's what makes them uptops, and not hardtops with vinyl over them! :P 

3 hours ago, TooOld said:

I just measured the Revell Cutlass convert and the Revell '69 Camaro convert , the Cutlass is 5/16" wider at the opening in the bodies where the top would go .  I don't have the top .

Yeah, considering we're talking about two different types of cars (an intermediate as opposed to a "pony" car) even in scale, I wouldn't think you could use those without a LOT of work.

BTW, I tried that top (I've got several kits for parts) on AMT's old '69 Chevelle convertible, and I found it interesting that the top on that one is also a bit long. I've always thought however that the Chevelle might be just a scooch under scale. 1/26 or 27th as opposed to 1/25. Either which way, a lot easier to modify that one to the Chevelle, than trying to get it to work on a Camaro.

Old AMT 67 Camaro with the top Bill stated in his comments, Looks like it might work for a convert.  This top someone had glued it to the body. If someone that has a resin business thinks they can work with this and make copies  for  the rest of us PM me.

P1040012.JPG

P1040011.JPG

Edited by GMCMAN52
spelling

I have the kit shown above.  It has a lip that tucks under the tulip panel.  I also have a original AMT 69 Pace Cart kit.  A photo of it is posted in the Pontiac Bonanza thread.  I think it might have a uptop  but do not know for certain.  Time Machine Resin has a nice one too.

12 hours ago, tubbs said:

I find that a lot Dan, you will get 10 times the reads as you will the replies. anyways, I may be here to frustrate you a little more. I know of a model club friend that had an up top on a 67/68 Camaro, but he doesn't remember where it came from. so, good news is I have seen one, bad news is I have no leads. sorry.

and as far as 104 reads on your post, maybe if you find this up top, there are 104 people out there that will buy it if you cast it.

LOL thanks Al

7 hours ago, GMCMAN52 said:

Old AMT 67 Camaro with the top Bill stated in his comments, Looks like it might work for a convert.  This top someone had glued it to the body. If someone that has a resin business thinks they can work with this and make copies  for  the rest of us PM me.

P1040012.JPG

P1040011.JPG

That's not a convertible up-top, it's just a separate hard top, like the ones in the original annual '66 Mustang and the '65 GTO. The same top's also in the AMT '68 Firebird.