Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why are 80's and newer Pro Stocks so hard to find at a decent price

jchrisf

I've seen some of the great work here on Pro Stock drag cars and really want to get a couple but there are not many out there and they are all pretty pricey from what I am seeing compared to all the other race cars I have purchased.  Am I missing something?

Which are the best to look for?

Wow! I had no idea they had shot up in price. These used to be as cheap to get as NASCAR kits! 

Most of the 80's cars have been re-issued lately and the only difference between them is the decals. I would just buy the newer stuff and buy the decals for the different cars. 

Hey Jesse.. I wish I would have gotten them when they were that cheap. I would have stocked up like I did on Nascar kits.  I hope they come down again soon.  Can you please give me a link to a re-issued kit or two?  I didn't realize there were any new ones out there.

The Glidden late T-Bird and the Reher and Morrision Camaro were both reissued. The Iacono Camaro was scheduled but I don't know if it was. In both cases the runs were fairly small and many snatched them up. They weren't on dealers shelves long although the Glidden car did end up at Ollies.

I had a bunch of original pro stock/pro mod models,but that was awhile ago.I still have a few left in their sealed box.I'm going to be saving them for now.But again,like the others said,a lot of pro stock cars,pro street,and even pro mods have been re released.But there's nothing like the original.However,I've seen some of the old pro stock cars on eBay recently,and some of the prices $$ are ridiculously  high.But if you really want a specific kit and you want an original release,I guess you gotta pay the man.:D $$.Good luck..

I looked at ebay right now and I saw several US Revell Pro Stocks with asking prices around 30 Dollars...and that's about what a new Moebius kit costs, some was around 50 and higher so they are a bit more expensive.
One must keep in mind that most of these are OOP kits, the Reher-Morrison Camaro and the Glidden Motorcraft Thunderbird has been reissued recently but the others have not been out in many years...and the uncertainty of the future for the US Revell tooling might have kicked up the prices even more.

On 8/3/2018 at 9:53 AM, iBorg said:

The Glidden late T-Bird and the Reher and Morrision Camaro were both reissued. The Iacono Camaro was scheduled but I don't know if it was. In both cases the runs were fairly small and many snatched them up. They weren't on dealers shelves long although the Glidden car did end up at Ollies.

Thanks.. that Glidden T-Bird is one I want... but they all look good to me.

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Because slot car guys buy them up for bodies. 

If that is true then that makes sense (I'm not doubting you I just don't know anything about slot cars).  Compared to everything else the Pro Stocks are overpriced.  

My guess is now people want them more than ever.Being a big drag racing fan,I know I like building the pro stock cars.Some are cheap,and some are way too expensive.I guess it all depends what car it was.For example,Ive seen the STP Rickie Smith Firebirds go for a lot of money.But it is cool that they re released a couple of the pro stock cars(Bob Glidden T bird),and the Matt and Debbie Hayes pro street T bird.I wish they would re release all of them.That would drop the price in a second..

The Pro Stock kits went through some chassis an engine changes over the years, so older issues can be more expensive to find. The best deals I have found for the earlier issues are the "Pro Street" reissues from the 1980's. You have to put up with the gold plating, but at least you get the Lenco transmissions and BBC heads with Moroso valve covers for the GM cars, and the original '83-'86 T-Bird body for the Fords.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:45 AM, jchrisf said:

Hey Jesse.. I wish I would have gotten them when they were that cheap. I would have stocked up like I did on Nascar kits.  I hope they come down again soon.  Can you please give me a link to a re-issued kit or two?  I didn't realize there were any new ones out there.

As Force said, Ebay, but, if you can get to a Model Show near you, that is where you can really find some deals on them. 

10 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

As Force said, Ebay, but, if you can get to a Model Show near you, that is where you can really find some deals on them. 

Thanks Jesse, going to one this weekend and another in November so I will see what I can find.

19 hours ago, 64Comet404 said:

The Pro Stock kits went through some chassis an engine changes over the years, so older issues can be more expensive to find. The best deals I have found for the earlier issues are the "Pro Street" reissues from the 1980's. You have to put up with the gold plating, but at least you get the Lenco transmissions and BBC heads with Moroso valve covers for the GM cars, and the original '83-'86 T-Bird body for the Fords.

Yes they changed the GM Pro Stockers some over the years, first came the 1983-4 Camaro, it was changed to a 1991 Firebird and later to a 1999 Firebird, the Moroso valve covers disappeared and sheet metal valve covers was added when the tooling was modified to the 1991 Firebird and the Lenco was changed to Liberty for the 1999 version, the chassis was changed some too.
I don't have the most recent reissue of the Reher-Morrison Camaro so I don't know exactly what's in it.