Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good Bye Wire Wheels!!

Lovefordgalaxie

Thanks guys!!

11 hours ago, T.Henry said:

I really dig the steel wheels and the hubcaps. Never saw a 1953 Ford passenger car hubcap in scale. Did you scratch them, or are they from a kit?

I'm on and off building the Pace Car version, and will have to use the wire wheels. Bummer...

Well, the wheels are from the Revell 1957 Ford. Since I didn't want to ruin a kit, I did resin copies of them. The hubcaps were scratchbuilt using my Dremel as a lathe, them airbrushed with Molotow chrome, and protected with two part clear. 

Egads!  :blink:  Those are awful wire wheels!  Good choice, glad you don't go for the wagon wheel look.

I've owned newer cars, such as 1988 Oldsmobile 98 and then a '89 Buick Park Avenue (wife's choice), that had the fake wire wheel hubcaps.  I hated those, noisy clunky at slow speed, impossible to clean.  I switched out for regular wheel covers on the Buick, so understand the drive to ditch the wire wheels!

13 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Try using the wires from the 62 Tbird at least they LOOK like Kelsey/Hayes wheels!

I almost did so.

The decals on my Lindberg kit kind of dissolved, even with a nice clear coat on them before going into the hot water.

Now I'll build it as a regular Sunliner. The body is being stripped, as I had it painted white.

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Egads!  :blink:  Those are awful wire wheels!  Good choice, glad you don't go for the wagon wheel look.

Indeed!!! Even not being a wire wheel fan, I kept them on my '62 Thunderbird, as those were quite nicely done. Yep, I don't like the wagon wheel and rubber band visual. IMHO, the only aftermarket wheel that exists is the Cragar SS. 15" Cragars with Firestone Wide Ovals look awesome on any car. 

2 hours ago, T.Henry said:

I almost did so.

The decals on my Lindberg kit kind of dissolved, even with a nice clear coat on them before going into the hot water.

Now I'll build it as a regular Sunliner. The body is being stripped, as I had it painted white.

Had problems with my decals on the Lindberg Crestline Victoria. Looks like Lindberg decals don't age well.

11 minutes ago, peekay said:

That made all the difference! Beautiful!

Thanks!!!