Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Skyliner wheel cover improvement.

randyc

I'm just now getting into them.  They are cheap enough if you're patient.  Most of mine were $30 or less.   I think I paid $35 for this one.  Plus shipping of course.  The top mechanism is incredible on these and the Danbury Mint version.  

I just don't worry about mirrors anymore.   they always get knocked off, or some little gremlin removes them for me.  Not sure which is more prevalent.  So if it has them, I try to keep them.  But if not, I won;t be adding them any time soon.    

Just how many spare parts do you have laying around????

I thought about getting into selling parts for Mint cars.  Have mostly decided against it.  Tried to part on out last week (DM 41 Chevy conv)  and first buyer wanted whole thing that was left.   I had the parts I needed, sold the convertible top for one price and the buyer paid the rest of my investment.  So I came out a few dollars ahead on the whole deal and got my car repaired.   I also learned that the Mint cars are assembled in a non traditional way as most modelers would expect.  Screws are located UNDER glued in panels.  Makes it a bit tricky if you don't know the sequence.  Or don't want to apply a bit of force.   The obvious screws won't always let the car come apart.  Bodies are mulit piece, etc.  

Rear suspension on 41 chev is attached by two screw at front of leaf springs on top of chassis.   these are under rear seat.  Which is glued and screwed in.  Fascinating.   But off topic.