Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Garlits Blow Over

I wasn't sure where to post this, move it if it should be somewhere else.

So far I have had no luck finding any pics of the blow over of the Garlits run when he was running the Swamp Rat with the air craft front tire's/wheels when he ran them covered with full body work and the cockpit full cowl. I remeber it was one of the first comp runs with that car. The images of the body panels being ripped off and shredded  have always stuck with me. For what ever reason I can not find pics anywhere, there are images of his famous blow over where the car flips and does it's best to be a ballerina, but none of that run.

Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks Gary, although those are the vids I have been able to find, they are not what I remember. I have visions of numerous panels being shreaded and ripped off the car like paper as it stands up and flips over, the shot was from the side.  

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

When I saw the thread title, I thought his museum had been damaged by the hurricane. :wacko:

Sorry to cause you alarm Snake. Never even thought of that as a possibllity  :(

Thanksfor your efforts Jesse, but again, I too have found these photos. :( 

Edited by Rider

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

When I saw the thread title, I thought his museum had been damaged by the hurricane. :wacko:

Exactly what I thought.I know his place is in Ocala,but I don't know how bad the storm was in that part of the state.Anyway,I think I saw that crash live when I started to watch drag racing on TV.I remember thinking that it was a good think Garlits had the closed canopy on his car.Boy what an incredible wreck that was.

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Exactly what I thought.I know his place is in Ocala,but I don't know how bad the storm was in that part of the state.Anyway,I think I saw that crash live when I started to watch drag racing on TV.I remember thinking that it was a good think Garlits had the closed canopy on his car.Boy what an incredible wreck that was.

So I am not loosing my mind, the panels did shred off the car. 

16 minutes ago, Xingu said:

I couldn't find it either. While searching, the Danny Ongais Indy car crash kept coming up. I remember seeing that on TV and can still picture it. One of the most horrifying crashes that I remember seeing.

I stumbled onto these two pics while searching, man there are some really disturbing crash images out there.

IMG_5564.PNG

IMG_5565.PNG

Edited by Rider

Okay, I swear I've seen a different crash in that car where it did a full back flip and broke in half. Instead of turning backwards after going vertical the rear wheels come off the ground and the car goes completely over and the nose hits the ground breaking the car in two.

15 hours ago, Xingu said:

I saw it live. I think he is still living in Hawaii.

WOW, he survived that is amazing. Good to know.

9 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Okay, I swear I've seen a different crash in that car where it did a full back flip and broke in half. Instead of turning backwards after going vertical the rear wheels come off the ground and the car goes completely over and the nose hits the ground breaking the car in two.

That is the crash I am remembering too. The car looked like it was disintegrating. 

Edited by Rider

On 10/12/2018 at 3:44 PM, Rider said:

So I am not loosing my mind, the panels did shred off the car. 

I wonder if you might be remembering Eddie Hill's 1989 crash. His car lifted and body panels flew off. I found a video clip but am having trouble posting it using my phone.

54 minutes ago, LDO said:

I wonder if you might be remembering Eddie Hill's 1989 crash. His car lifted and body panels flew off. I found a video clip but am having trouble posting it using my phone.

Nope, I found that vid, thanks for trying. 

The Garlits crash I am thinking of is not the English Town crash, which has a ton of video posts. It might be the Spokane crash. I have found images of the car on the flat bed from that track with panels missing from the cockpit forward. 

And the search continues. 

Edited by Rider

• 3 years later...

After doing a bit more research on this I found out there was a second blow over in the aero car. The Englishtown '86 wreck was Swamp Rat XXX. The next year in Spokane WA Swamp Rat XXXI had a similar accident at the far end of the track and was completely destroyed. While this is still not the footage I remember it does account for their being a second wreck in the spoon-nosed cars. And for the record, Swamp Rat XXXII went back to a traditional nose with a normal spoiler.