Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT INTERNATIONAL SCOUT

I'm thinking of going with the military theme, but with a SLIGHT twist.... I'm thinking of aftermarket motors to shove into this thing and I'm wondering if anyone knows what could fit in between those skinny rails.... I'm thinking "OPEN HEADERS" :lol: :ph34r: .... Hood scoop.... BLOWER!!!!! I also wanna build a custom brush guard so if anyone knows of a post or article with some tips on custom 4X4 bumpers that would help as well.... THANKS AHEAD GUYS!!!

I mostly built one (still in my not quite finished pile), not a bad kit. It's on the simple side but still easy to modify. I did mine with a pickup style cab.

scout2.jpg

I was working on this several years ago, but it has a decent size V-8 in it already so I think you could get a Chevy smallblock or similar in there if you wanted to.

THAT IS AN AWESOME BUILD!!! I'm gonna strip ALL of the chrome and try to put REAL headlights in... can't stand it when they put the fake chrome lights on the models!! I also noticed it doesn't have a radiator as well!!! :lol::o I think I'm gonna cut the core support out and put in a radiator if room allows it! I'm just DYING to put something mean in that lil' engine compartment!!!! The Scout is one of my favorite off road vehicles and I just wanna do this build justice!! I'm afraid its gonna be a pain to match up the 4X4 tranny to something different... what chevy kits come with a 4X4 tranny combo?? if any...

This is my take on the IH Scout:

scout_final_01-vi.jpg

scout_final_02-vi.jpg

The finish is satin...for some reason it looks glossy in these pics. The wheels are some rare 8-lug Pontiac units. This model has no engine...It's kind of a curbside, and the slammed stance was achieved by gluing the axles to the bottom of the hubs...I will put in an engine in it, and maybe even wire it. I know it makes no functional sense with the axles, but after all, it's just a static model.

:lol:

What about cutting the tranny off of the kit engine and grafting it to another block? I started one of these a couple off years ago, got the body painted and decaled. Then it happened. I was looking at it one day, I popped the window glass out, painted it black, made a custom mount out of sheet styrene and mounted the body on my lifted Xmod truckk chassis. Ran the truckk for a while, a friend of mine saw it and offered me a stupid amount of money for it so it found a new home. :lol:

I seem to remember that the 78 Chevrolet M P C did and A M T reissued was a 4x4, it had a transfer case. I knoe in real life you could put a small block Chevrolet in a Scout as I seen it done here in Virginia. I also remember a guy in Housto when I lived there because you aint seen high prices till you go buy parts for a " Combine" machine. Ed Shaver

I seem to remember that the 78 Chevrolet M P C did and A M T reissued was a 4x4, it had a transfer case. I knoe in real life you could put a small block Chevrolet in a Scout as I seen it done here in Virginia. I also remember a guy in Housto when I lived there because you aint seen high prices till you go buy parts for a " Combine" machine. Ed Shaver

I just remembered that there is someone that lives in my trailor park that has a scout II. I'm not sure what he has dropped in it, but it sounds like a smallblock..... I'll have to go over there tomorrow and ask and maybe take some pics..... I think I can seperate the frame rails from the wheel wells and get something mean and nasty in there... :ph34r: :blink:

I'm afraid its gonna be a pain to match up the 4X4 tranny to something different... what chevy kits come with a 4X4 tranny combo?? if any...

The AMT '84 GMC / Fallguy pickup would probably be your best option, fairly easy to find and it includes a ton of 4x4 bits too, off road lights, grill guard, CB radio etc.

Here's my one I'm working on........................you want Military with a twist!! how this?

"URBAN WARFARE" Gasser!!

urban4.jpg

urban3.jpg

Here's an engine bay shot.........there's a lota room in there but I'm thinking Turbo Six!

urban040508c.jpg

HTH

THAT IS ALMOST EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!!! I love the military scheme. I found some really AWESOME shackles to go with the Scout II.. Heres some pics...

PE35R11....

PE35R11.jpg

PE35R13....

PE35R13.jpg

PE35R14....

PE35R14.jpg

PE35R16....

PE35R16-1.jpg

They're from Aber Details, and I'm gonna order them from www.airconnection.com. All kinds of GOODIES from that site....

• 8 years later...

The original kit (the one reissued by RC2 about a decade ago) was originally a '76. Going by the grille in the reissue it's now a '78 or '79. There were two other versions- an Off Road version with a lift, bigger tires, and a custom exhaust, and it was based on the regular Scout II. There was also a kit of the open-top SSII, which had it's own grille, bucket seats, and door cutouts. The body and interior tub were unique to that version. The latter two  have never been reissued. At one time Time Machine Resin repopped the SSII, but as far as I know they aren't casting anymore.   They're crude kits compared to the Ertl IH heavy truck/tractor kits, and had quite a few accuracy problems, but still very buildable. Keith Marks does a couple of different factory-type stripe decals for them.