Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the second engine in the AMT 49 Ford Gas Man kit

Just curious if someone might know what it is. I built one of the original 49 Ford kits way back in the early 60's or so, actually several of them. One I built that was a favorite of mine that i painted maroon, put slicks and traction bars on it and an Olds engine with I think tri power carbs, de-chromed the body sides etc. I don't recall if the engine came with the kit and no clue what engines comes with Gas  Man kit.

Edited by Dave G.
corrected spelling

To be more precise, it represents a first-generation overhead valve (OHV) V8 Caddy, introduced in 1949 in a 331 cu.in. displacement. It was built in increasingly larger displacements of the same basic design (and all very similar visually) of 365 and 390 cu.in. through 1962 (the '63 390, though similar in many ways, is a different engine).

It is the same engine represented by the Revell "354" Cadillac parts-pack engine.Though Cadillac never actually made a 354, the typo was on the original production packaging from Revell, and was never corrected.

image.jpeg.0c1f671f3d31a1567b03e09df4c0b9c5.jpeg

It was a very popular engine for swaps after its introduction, and more than a few "Fordillacs" were built.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

While I don't have the "Gas Man" issue on the shelf, the induction options should be the same as earlier issues: three 2-barrels, or a blower.

Ok, seeing I was maybe 12 at the time I built this, I either took the three two barrels and put them on an Olds engine that came in a Willies kit I never liked much ( robbed a bunch of parts from that for other kits as I recall) or I thought the Caddy was an Olds. It's too long ago to recall that fine a detail.

Thanks for all the info !

15 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

While I don't have the "Gas Man" issue on the shelf, the Cadillac induction options should be the same as earlier issues: three 2-barrels, or a blower.

Cadillac parts on the left, below.

Image result for AMT Gas Man

Indeed it did come with the Tri-power and Blower options. Just checked mine.

2 hours ago, Deuces said:

Does the newer deluxe kit have those parts????

Sorry to ask, but mine is buried somewhere.... ?

Dueces, what's a deluxe kit about  ? I'm not familiar with that one. I have no loyalty to this GasMan thing, the rendition I want to build is more street rod/ street and strip. custom/retro and haven't bought a kit yet..

Edited by Dave G.

4 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

Dueces, what's a deluxe kit about  ? I'm not familiar with that one. I have no loyalty to this GasMan thing, the rendition I want to build is more street rod/ custom/retro and haven't bought a kit yet..

Pretty sure he means the "Retro Deluxe" issue. See box contents below. The Caddy 3X2 and blower setups are clearly there.

Image result for amt retro deluxe gas man

Image result for amt retro deluxe gas man

I see. So are there non deluxe/retro kits out there as well ? A local hobby store want $32 for Gas man kit, Amazon $23 I think, maybe this is why and I wasn't aware of this. It seems like model car kits used to be a simple straight forward purchase way back when.

Just now, Dave G. said:

I see. So are there non deluxe/retro kits out there as well ? A local hobby store want $32 for Gas man kit, Amazon $23 I think, maybe this is why and I wasn't aware of this. It seems like model car kits used to be a simple straight forward purchase way back when.

No, the Round 2 AMT reissues of the last 5 years or so have all been labeled as 'Retro Deluxe'.   $25-ish is the usual price for them from online hobby vendors...

7 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

No, the Round 2 AMT reissues of the last 5 years or so have all been labeled as 'Retro Deluxe'.   $25-ish is the usual price for them from online hobby vendors...

I just checked Amazon prime, it's $21.95 with free shipping. I'm in favor of a local shop staying in business but not $11 worth on a single kit. I think he is more in line on the 40 ford coupe though.

1 minute ago, Dave G. said:

I just checked Amazon prime, it's $21.95 with free shipping. I'm in favor of a local shop staying in business but not $11 worth on a single kit. 

Interesting..I'm a 20+ year Amazon customer and buy a lot of things from them, but never looked for model kits on Amazon...

23 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting..I'm a 20+ year Amazon customer and buy a lot of things from them, but never looked for model kits on Amazon...

As I said, always worth a look see. Amazon wants $39.90 for the ICM 1/24 scale model T roaster and that local guy is $59 and change.