Model Cars Magazine Forum

47 Chevy Flight-master Jet Car

Daxman

I love all that you have done with this build so far and your changes to the recent configuration look good and make sense. For your base, might I suggest, along with the landing lights, painting some striping in the red that you previously had it painted in (or yellow) to suggest a landing area or lanes? It might help break up the black and give it a bit more interest.

Great work. It is coming along beautifully and is very inspiring.

Later-

Ok,you've got me hooked too! I found an overly zellously sectioned shoebox Ford custom at a toy show that is officially too thin in the sides for tires. That will be my starting point for my first ever jet/levacar project. Should be a real fun challange.

I love the work you put into these jet cars. What I can't figure out is how you show a fully assembled and painted car and then a week later show us the same car painted a different color. How on earth, you taking things apart, masking, re painting, reassembling, etc., boggles my mind.

16 hours ago, afx said:

Your creativity on these builds Dax blows me away.  And your ware and weathering is top notch.  I need to learn these techniques. 

Thanks JC! I still have a little more final weathering left to do. I need to go over some of the chrome parts again. They don't all match with rust coverage. I need to dirty up the windows slightly. I need to add soot behind the turbines. This is a scary step for me. I'm putting it off as long as possible.

13 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

I love all that you have done with this build so far and your changes to the recent configuration look good and make sense. For your base, might I suggest, along with the landing lights, painting some striping in the red that you previously had it painted in (or yellow) to suggest a landing area or lanes? It might help break up the black and give it a bit more interest.

Great work. It is coming along beautifully and is very inspiring.

Later-

Thanks Tom! I have another base that will work a little better for this. i like the idea of the yellow "hazard" area. I'll give it a try.

12 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Ok,you've got me hooked too! I found an overly zellously sectioned shoebox Ford custom at a toy show that is officially too thin in the sides for tires. That will be my starting point for my first ever jet/levacar project. Should be a real fun challange.

You'll enjoy it. You get to stretch your imagination and go a little crazy with it. I'm starting to think about my next jet car project. A 50's panel van or a 57 Chevy.

1 hour ago, FredRPG said:

I love the work you put into these jet cars. What I can't figure out is how you show a fully assembled and painted car and then a week later show us the same car painted a different color. How on earth, you taking things apart, masking, re painting, reassembling, etc., boggles my mind.

This made me laugh. As I stated, I am the absolute worst when it comes to picking a color. I seriously need to get better at this aspect of model building. It would cut my build times down dramatically. This car has been in the Easy Off bath 4 times. I could have easily finished this a month ago if I had picked 1 color.

As far as the reassembling, most of the car is built in segments. Both front fenders are one piece. Both rear fenders are one piece. The undercarriage with all the pipes and gadgets were permanently glued. The interior was all one piece. I use many pre-drilled holes and styrene pins to hold some of the parts together during mock up.

Loctite makes a product called FunTak. It's a plastic putty used to temporarily glue things together. It's amazing. It's like Silly Putty, but it holds plastic together. It can easily be removed leaving behind no residue. I use this a lot. It's holding the visor, bumpers, and a few of the pipes in the photos below.

IMG_2063.thumb.JPG.bdaebebf23f5b0a779d20adcba87c592.JPG

IMG_2535.thumb.JPG.134954c4d0f80a03e430801c42e878a6.JPG

IMG_0026.thumb.JPG.94e8523599e69467beafa8f03677484b.JPGIMG_0048.thumb.JPG.fb25f780003ad33938a489d11a2c6daf.JPGIMG_0051.thumb.JPG.b442d67f260694c694df73834dbeffe6.JPG