Model Cars Magazine Forum

Maserati Boomerang - restoration of my 90's build

Tommy124

20 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

BEAUTIFUL restoration, bud!!!, and tat kolor suits it PERFECTLY!!….you know me, I rarely paint anything how its "suppose" to be...lol     -i'm gonna get one of these kits!!!   -thanks for sharing!!

Thanks Dann. Happy that we all seem to agree that the metallic brown is a nice color for this car. But it will look great on almost every car. Brown is a widely underrated color imho. I saw images of a Countach LP 400 and a Huracan in similar colors. They looked great too! Btw, some time ago I did a Jaguar XJ-S V12 in (solid) brown...

5c000516e844d_Bild001.thumb.jpg.a4c03468ad74a0d26d8a72cf56f2ee15.jpg

16 hours ago, djflyer said:

Excellent !  The brown is a great color also, very suited to the design.  I have been a long-time fan of Giugiaro, whether its straight lines or curves, his designs have been some of my favorites.  Its too bad some of his best work has never been kitted properly.

Now that I think about it I might, I might have one or two in the stash and should do something with them.

Thanks to you too, David. You should build the kit, it's very easy and nice to do, and it has a perfect stance box-stock!

5 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

sounds good!....i'd love to build that!!

Yeah, we know where that ends, Dann. Boomerang Spyder... :P

Edited by Tommy124

11 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Thanks Dann. Happy that we all seem to agree that the metallic brown is a nice color for this car. But it will look great on almost every car. Brown is a widely underrated color imho. I saw images of a Countach LP 400 and a Huracan in similar colors. They looked great too! Btw, some time ago I did a Jaguar XJ-S V12 in (solid) brown...

5c000516e844d_Bild001.thumb.jpg.a4c03468ad74a0d26d8a72cf56f2ee15.jpg

Thanks to you too, David. You should build the kit, it's very easy and nice to do, and it has a perfect stance box-stock!

Yeah, we know where that ends, Dann. Boomerang Spyder... :P

LOL!!!!

14 hours ago, aurfalien said:

Your Boomerang looks very very cool.

I had one ready to build, was gonna kit bash with a Bora for its engine.  

Thanks Brian, appreciated. Good idea about the bash. Until a few minutes ago I thought the Revell kit was identical to the Matchbox/ Airfix Bora and therefore without an engine. But the Revell seems to have one... 

7 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Your Jag is Beautiful, bud!!, I have one to build here soon...the racing one.

Thanks Dann. It looks okay due to the varnish. But this was actually my very first kit to be doing big-style BMF on and there was a lot be learned, which can be seen in the details. This kit was kind of a restoration work aswell because I bought the kit used and paint-stripped from another modeller. The kit is now easily available again, but it was pretty rare until a year ago or so, that's why. I love the car , that's why by now I have the TWR H.E. version (that you refer to) in my stock too, aswell as another (new) one of the V12 Coupe, the Convertible (which would require quite work to make a "full convertible" out of it) and the TWR Sports kit. Did I say that I LOVE that car...? :D

17 hours ago, aurfalien said:

[Porsche]

Wow, these are kits?

I actually thought they were cars for reference.

Holy guacamole Batman!!!  They look super nice!!!

:P Fooled you!  I used a display for another model to take that picture.  It's something Porsche never built, kit bashed a Tamiya Speedster with a Fujimi slantnose Turbo.

8 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Beautiful Slant-nose!!…..rarely see those.

Thank you!  I've seen the Fujimi kit on Hobby Link, but almost never the Tamiya Snap-tite Speedster anywhere.  BTW that is Model Master metallic brown.

I better steer the discussion back to the Boomerang!  I found this forum discussion, but don't know Russian.  It appears the builder did not finish it?
http://forum.autoinscale.com/viewtopic.php?id=7538

On 1.12.2018 at 6:10 AM, 89AKurt said:

It's something Porsche never built

You sure, Kurt? ;) They built a LOT of stuff no-one would believe they did... Some of them here, for example: https://www.total911.com/the-12-rarest-exclusive-built-porsche-911s-ever/

On 1.12.2018 at 5:09 PM, 89AKurt said:

I found this forum discussion, but don't know Russian.  It appears the builder did not finish it?

Yes, somebody obviously had great ambitions in making a very detailed and realistic Boomerang. And he started off well, I should say. Yet starting a build is one thing, but finishing another one.

On 1.12.2018 at 6:25 PM, Tonioseven said:

This is fantastic! Great work man!!

Thanks a lot Antonio!

On 12/1/2018 at 10:09 AM, 89AKurt said:

Thank you!  I've seen the Fujimi kit on Hobby Link, but almost never the Tamiya Snap-tite Speedster anywhere.  BTW that is Model Master metallic brown.

I better steer the discussion back to the Boomerang!  I found this forum discussion, but don't know Russian.  It appears the builder did not finish it?

I would love to know Russian also, to get the details on all the work he did.  It looks like he even had new (more detailed) wheels 3D printed.

10 hours ago, djflyer said:

I would love to know Russian also, to get the details on all the work he did.  It looks like he even had new (more detailed) wheels 3D printed.

Google translator, really easy to copy/paste into the Russian window, program does the work!

Mikhail Petrenko is a very skilled fellow; he has a lot of WIPs that are still in progress, due to his absolute need for perfection to the last rivet. You can get in touch with him through AF, where he's known as Stratos75. I have two of his BMW S70/2 motors (McLaren F1 powerplant). He was the first to make these in resin, predating Hobby Design by about four years. I think I bought them in 2009.