Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone else have this problem ?

It's not just you. I just opened a new sheet this weekend and was absolutely stunned to find it with more wrinkles than a shar-pei.

I was able to use the edges and ends, but the rest of it is totally worthless. I'll be trying out other offerings.

I remember this stuff being the best, not anymore.

It's also a fairly common problem that is discussed here a lot.

Chris

They now say to store it in the refrigerator. I got a fresh sheet a few months back w/o any wrinkles/cracks, and it's in the fridge.

It's a big problem. I really hope that they figure it out; all the alternatives to good BMF aren't as good. But finding good BMF these days is a ###### shoot.

Well, i wouldn't know, never used real bmf in my life, i use this aluminum tape thats usually used for putting together sheets of sound-isolation in cars, it comes in 15m (about 14-16 yards or so i think) rolls, about 4 inches wide, and only costs about 2-3$ per roll, might be considerable?

PICT3571.jpg

Since BMF isn't shipped in refrigerated trucks, and it's not displayed in the LHS's refrigerator case, I don't see how the people at BMF can tell the consumer that the product has to be refrigerated.

Who's to say how long the stuff was on display at the hobby shop, unrefrigerated, before you bought it?

If BMF must be refrigerated to keep it from cracking, what's the point of doing that after you've just bought a sheet that's been sitting somewhere at room temp. for who knows how long??? :lol: The damage has already been done!

I wish the people at BMF would try and correct the problem that's inherent in their current product. The only way to get a good sheet of BMF these days is to order direct from the manufacturer. The stuff on display in the stores is iffy at best.

Well, i wouldn't know, never used real bmf in my life, i use this aluminum tape thats usually used for putting together sheets of sound-isolation in cars, it comes in 15m (about 14-16 yards or so i think) rolls, about 4 inches wide, and only costs about 2-3$ per roll, might be considerable?

PICT3571.jpg

a lowrider :lol:

never thought id see that come out of your lab

it looks good bro

I store mine Flat along with my decal sheets too.....has never wrinkled. Although I have a tendency to use aluminum foil sheets for simulated chome trim.....looks more authentic to my eyes. ;)

Edited by zebm1

I suspect the problem is related to the fact that they're not using a stiff enough backing, which permits the sheets to bend back and forth in shipping and handling, resulting in the stress wrinkles and cracks which have us all pounding our heads on the workbench.

Years ago, when I started working with BMF the foil and its backing sheet were stapled at one end to stiff cardboard backing with a cover sheet. I've got bits and pieces on some of those sheets (that are close to 20 years old!) that are still usable.

BMF is a great product, but the company needs to resolve this issue or someone else is gonna steal their market for them.

Larry, your'e always in touch with the manufacturers or well you were when we met in Dallas in 92. Uh how about Detail Masters foil. I beleive I can order that from Replicias and Miniatures is that better? Ed shaver

Ed, Detail Master's foil is not as flexible as BMF, as it's a little too much on the thick side. Gunze's foil is nearly as thin as BMF but the adhesive is too sticky. I don't know of what would be a good competing aftermarket alternative, except for my previously mentioned use of cheap thin household foil and Micro Metal Foil Adhesive.

Edited by larrygre

I have had the same problem for the last 2 years! I have been using BMF for about 30 years and it was always good...until this cracking problem. I did return 3 bad sheets to BMF last year and they were replaced. The replacements were good. The other 4 sheets I purchased from my local hobby shops has had the same cracking problem. I always store it flat. Putting it in the fridge doesn't help. I have been trying to find another source for foil but nothing so far ;) Can we send this thread to BMF so he can see our frustration?

I've been in a "newer" car building mood so I havent had the need for any BMF recently. I havent bought a new sheet in prohibably 3-4 years. with the sheets that everyone is getting it looks like I won't be building anything pre-80 for a while. I havent heard anything good about BMF for the last year.

I wonder if the problem might be what the folks at BMF are starting with...could it be they are using recycled aluminum or some lesser quality material to cut costs? The last sheet I had (only a couple months old, stored flat in its original envelope) went bad...had to throw two thirds of it away. I think the "putting it in the fridge" suggestion is an urban myth at best. Hope they figure it out soon...I have four '58 Chevys in the stash!

I wonder if the problem might be what the folks at BMF are starting with...could it be they are using recycled aluminum or some lesser quality material to cut costs? The last sheet I had (only a couple months old, stored flat in its original envelope) went bad...had to throw two thirds of it away. I think the "putting it in the fridge" suggestion is an urban myth at best.

All I can say is, if BMF has to be stored in the refrigerator to keep it from going bad, then why doesn't BMF ship the stuff to retailers in refrigerated trucks? And why isn't the stuff on display at the LHS in refrigerated display cases???

Obviously, if room temp. causes BMF to go bad, the damage has been done long before you or I buy a sheet. After the stuff has been out on display at the LHS for God knows how long at room temperature, how does refrigerating it after we buy it make any sense? :(

Edited by harrypri