Model Cars Magazine Forum

Iso Grifo kits.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:06 AM, Junkman said:

I dreamed this up back in 2013.

36978290004_983bc05900_b.jpg

Naturally I was ridiculed at the time.

The only problem is that we'd see the kit once and then it would get stuck in the same vault as the 250GT SWB and 250 California tooling.

Ah well, we can dream of the day when Italeri does this and maybe a companion Maserati Ghibli or Mistral...

8 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Airfix did a 1/32 Ghibli, but I could go for that too.

That is a good question.  How bad is Maserati about licensing?  The company is gone, but I suppose it would depend on who had the rights to the name now, and how reasonable they are willing to be.

Airfix is still around   https://www.airfix.com/us-en/shop/vehicles/cars.html.   Seem to be still doing 1/32nd scale kits.

Maserati is still around also, part of FCA. 

Maserati is pretty far from gone. They're a part of FCA and have been having a successful run as Fiat's answer to BMW between the Quattroporte, the new Ghibli sedan, and the Kubang crossover plus the lovely Gran Turismo 4 seat coupe and its GT4 racing counterpart.

It is a bit odd, though, that Maserati's model kit history effectively goes "Aurora 3500GT, MPC Indy, a few Boras, and done" given the company's rich trove of classics. A modern 3500GT or Birdcage or 450S would be something else. 

56 minutes ago, Junkman said:

Licensing can't be that big of an issue, since Maseratis are readily available as ready made models.

Big enough that Airfix pulled their planned re-release of the Indy last year because they couldn’t get a licensing deal agreed. I talked to one of their guys about it: licenses are very specific, so the fact that there are licensed die casts, or even in Airfix’s case licensed Scalextric (also part of Hornby Group) models, doesn’t mean a model kit is easy. He told me that even reissuing kits of defunct brands, like the Triumphs or Morrises, is complicated by the fact that the rights are partly held by British Motor Heritage, and partly by BMW (picked up when they bought Rover Group).

best,

M.

• 5 years later...

That’s my red 1969 Iso Grifo in the “fantasy” Iso Grifo 1:24 scale built model. The amazing thing is that my car was actually photographed and measured for Automodello’s 1:24 scale Iso Grifo coming to market this year!