Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Viper GTS: With Headlight mod

DiscoRover007

Hey guys so this will be a slow progress build but I wanted to get the thread started. This is the Revell viper GTS. Probably the best example of the car aside from the prototype version made by AMT.

Good kit overall. However if any of you are familiar with it I’m sure you are aware of the horrible panel gap between the bumper and hood. I have almost addressed this by adding extra plastic and putty so it’s newrly fixed.

The other inaccuracy of this kit that isn’t talked about much is the horrible headlights. They do not resemble the real ones at all and look very toy like.

So to address that I actually bought some cheap burago die cast viper models off eBay. Those headlights are actually very close to the real deal. So I cut those and sanded the backs of the piece to make them very thin. Then I hollowed out the Revell headlight housing with aid of a dremel. If you attempt this be careful as it’s easy to grind away too much. Only one side done right now but I think you can tell it’s a much improved look.

9572511F-F1FB-4EBA-9C6A-356EDAA5FE36.thumb.jpeg.0feaf4e3b6ab862ae112dc2c74a4d2c3.jpeg

429948CD-CE89-4582-B3B8-8F384D50A9EC.thumb.jpeg.17985d719887bf2a1948f7efddf89d4c.jpeg

40CF5293-CA6D-4EDA-9BD6-73DD6CD4C1C5.thumb.jpeg.4443cff879488aa066d5f7ae2d974b9d.jpeg

C4BAA0EE-6B8A-498D-A54D-65B46DE5F230.jpeg

2 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

So to address that I actually bought some cheap burago die cast viper models off eBay. Those headlights are actually very close to the real deal. 

Good to know! I'm pretty sure I have a Burago Viper GTS kit in the to-do pile that I bought at Hobby Lobby. It should get built soon as a cold-weather project. Thanks for sharing that! B)

20 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

Which area are you referring to? I do plan to use the kit lenses.

I like what you're doing with the headlights. What I was trying to understand was from the picture it looks as if there is a gap between the chrome part and the plastic just above it and the hood. My thought was that this might be where the kit's headlight lens would go.  

1 hour ago, espo said:

I like what you're doing with the headlights. What I was trying to understand was from the picture it looks as if there is a gap between the chrome part and the plastic just above it and the hood. My thought was that this might be where the kit's headlight lens would go.  

Ah yes I understand. I will be using the kit's lenses for the lights and I will try to minimize the gap of the chrome piece and housing by careful sanding. Ill paint them the same color and hopefully it won't be too noticeable.  The kit headlights are poorly designed and "built in" to the bumper. There's no sign of any of that in my photos thought because I completely cut them out.

2 hours ago, DiscoRover007 said:

That looks great! What did you mean by MV lenses?

Thanks.  Model railroad product brand is MV Products, there is a large choice of various sizes and colors.  I'm posting this link just for reference, not suggesting as a source, but a decent *real* hobby shop should carry them.

https://www.hobbylinc.com/m-v-products-model-trains