Model Cars Magazine Forum

Technology not used ??

RogerCP

To just pass time every now and then, I watch videos on varying subjects that interest me.  What my biggest complaint is, with all the technological advances that have been made, why can't the volume be controlled at a predetermined level?  After setting the volume for a video, the next video may either be not audible at all or, it will rattle the windows.  It really eliminates the use of auto-play IMO.

Since I'm not a technophile, I don't know that this is even possible but, it sure seems as though it should be.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

TV is just as bad.  Commercials at twice the decibels as the show.  There was supposed to be a law enacted to curb this. Don't know what ever happened with that.

The fines for commercials volume are much less than they earn from showing an advertisement so they just ignore it as thats more profitable

This bugs me too, different YouTube videos are all over the place and on my SmartTV it can range anywhere from 15-45 on a volume scale of 0-100. There are cases if the video has ads at the begining or end, those can be way louder than the video itself, or in the case of Jay Leno's Garage videos, the audio can be difficult, especially if his guest isn't used to having to "project" any while talking. When I actually watch TV on it, I have to crank it up to 35+ to be able to hear that, since for some reason the program volumes are way off compared to most of YT.  Then there's people like Mom, who will have a similar TV cranked to 70%-80% at all times. If we can't hear her or have a TV or YT video in another room loud enough that we can hear it over the TV she watches and she can hear it she thinks we're the ones going deaf, or I can hear what Hallmark movie she's watching over the phone because it's so loud:rolleyes:

Yeah, the various volume levels can be annoying, but it's not hard to adjust the volume on screen, either in the playback or the computer.

The thing that REALLY chaps my rump is the fools who upload professional productions with "image stabilization" enabled.

The image-stabilization feature was designed to remove the nervous jiggle-cam effect you get with a lot of amateur video, but all it does when applied to professionally-produced films or videos is to produce squirming backgrounds and scene changes. Seasick-inducing stupidity. And most folks don't seem to know any better and just assume old movies were filmed by spastics.

On 1/26/2019 at 11:11 AM, Joe Handley said:

This bugs me too, different YouTube videos are all over the place and on my SmartTV it can range anywhere from 15-45 on a volume scale of 0-100. There are cases if the video has ads at the begining or end, those can be way louder than the video itself, or in the case of Jay Leno's Garage videos, the audio can be difficult, especially if his guest isn't used to having to "project" any while talking. When I actually watch TV on it, I have to crank it up to 35+ to be able to hear that, since for some reason the program volumes are way off compared to most of YT.  Then there's people like Mom, who will have a similar TV cranked to 70%-80% at all times. If we can't hear her or have a TV or YT video in another room loud enough that we can hear it over the TV she watches and she can hear it she thinks we're the ones going deaf, or I can hear what Hallmark movie she's watching over the phone because it's so loud:rolleyes:

You'd think the smart TV technology would fix the volume issues!  There are shows that I bring up the text captions to follow along.  

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

You'd think the smart TV technology would fix the volume issues!  There are shows that I bring up the text captions to follow along.  

You would think, this one might just not be smart enough, it was on the lower end of the price spectrum, from what I understand.

I read an article the other day that some Samsung smart TV owners are dealing with and it makes this seem rather insignificant.  They are watching their show and then a CBS news app opens itself up automatically.  Then the TV goes blank.  The owner has to turn the TV on and off a number of times before the problem goes away.  Samsung has known about this since September and has not fixed it.  The worst part of it is that Samsung has a contractual agreement with CBS to put this app on the TV's and it cannot be deleted.