Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Chevelle Underside of Hood Color?

I think the thing to remember when these cars were coming down the assembly line they didn't have the time to paint every nuck and crany the way a car being restored would be. A majority of manufactures used different primer paints depending on the era and location on the body. GM tended to use a fairly flat black color. The OEM hoods would usually have a nice paint job on the top and sides and it had little if any overspray on the underside. The trunk lids on the other hand were usually painted very nicely and most often shared a finish on a par with the top side. There were exceptions as there always is. You may find that a higher line model would have had the hood painted and some form of sound deadening applied. I have owned two different '57 Fords years ago when they were just late model used cars. Neither had been painted before I bought them. They were both white and one was a Fairlane 500 Convertible and the other was a basic Mainline two door. Bothe hoods had a finish on the firewall and the underside of the hood that matched the body as to color and quality of finish. So as you can see the possibilities are all over the map.   

Not sure about with other models and manufacturers but in my experience with Chevelles, the finish on the underside of the hood depended on the plant that vehicle was built in. Some plants it was painted semi-gloss black underneath and other plants it was left body color. Usually not finished to the shine of the outside of the body but painted the same color. And in most cases in my experience if the underside of the hood is the same color as the body, the firewall is painted body color as well.

I remember seeing some that had a dull light cover of body color with primer showing through in places.

Like has been said a lot depended on the plant that built it.

My 69 Malibu had good cover around the outer edges and faded towards the middle.

Edited by OldTrucker