Model Cars Magazine Forum

How This Long-Lost Bugatti Was Rescued from the Bottom of a Lake After Missing for 75 Years

Cool video. And a cool story. Yet I was confused at first seeing this posting. I thought the car as dragged up several years back? And as I watched video I saw my memory was right. For the car was pulled out of the lake 10 years ago, in 2009. Kind of old news in someways. But, still it's interesting to see what's happened to the car since that time, and story about it. 

On 3/15/2019 at 5:55 PM, unclescott58 said:

Cool video. And a cool story. Yet I was confused at first seeing this posting. I thought the car as dragged up several years back? And as I watched video I saw my memory was right. For the car was pulled out of the lake 10 years ago, in 2009. Kind of old news in someways. But, still it's interesting to see what's happened to the car since that time, and story about it. 

Yes , my wife and I watched the Video in 2009 . Yet , much of this information was not known at that time . The Story was then someone was escaping the Nazies during the War . He dumped the Car as he did not want Hitler to have it . Thank you for the Story and update . The 2009 Documentary ended when it was brought to the surface IIRC . Thanx 

7 hours ago, dimaxion said:

Yes , my wife and I watched the Video in 2009 . Yet , much of this information was not known at that time . The Story was then someone was escaping the Nazies during the War . He dumped the Car as he did not want Hitler to have it . Thank you for the Story and update . The 2009 Documentary ended when it was brought to the surface IIRC . Thanx 

Had there been different stories over the years on this or is there similar cars that have been dumped in lakes?
I think I remeber a story of a Bugatti that was dumped in a lake in Italy because the one that had ordered it new refused to pay for it when it was delivered and it was dumped in the lake so no one else could have it instead. A sort of act in spite.

:( My take: A thing of beauty ruined by bureaucracy and bungled greed, a young man beaten to death by thugs, and a collector intent on showing off how much he can spend to keep the sad remains out of another collector's hands. Pretty much a downer all the way around. YMMV.