Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interior color help needed

I'm building the AMT 63 Galaxie using the custom parts in the kit, the go to color for the interior would be white, but I want something different but not crazy weird, the exterior is painted Mopar dark bronze met. What would you use? HELP

EDIT this color.

tesr3026.jpg

Kool Kat

Edited by Kool Kat

Model Master also offers a spray called Fabric Tan #28136. This will give you a medium brown color with a fabric like finish. What ever color you settle on you might want to spray a flat clear on any surface that is supposed to be fabric and nothing shinier than a semi gloss on any surface that you want to be vinyl or leather. This will give you the same effect. 

This may not be much help to you, but being a guy who builds almost exclusively factory stock models, I always think in terms of stock colors.

The auto manufacturers didn't always get everything right, but in general, I believe that they did a pretty good job of mating interior color combinations with body colors.

The color that you are using most closely resembles a color used on Ford products in 1962 and '63 called "Chestnut", a kind of brick red color.

The most common interior color combo for Chestnut was a matching 2 tone of a "russet red" and a somewhat lighter, "coral" or "dusty rose" accent with silver piping.

It sounds a little garish, and it probably is, but to my eye, it's quite attractive.

As I said, I have a bit of a prejudiced opinion when it comes to interior color combos, but in my eye, the obligatory light tan leather interior that you see in most custom cars today is one of the biggest affronts to the beautiful body styles of the 50s and 60s.

I used a similar combination in a black '62 Ford Sunliner that I built a few years ago, and it's still one of my favorites.

Steve

image.png.64f2726c5df651d977f99fbeb3dd88c0.png

2v2UmJSPqxwUbWP.jpg

2v2UmJhSdxwUbWP.jpg

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This may not be much help to you, but being a guy who builds almost exclusively factory stock models, I always think in terms of stock colors.

The auto manufacturers didn't always get everything right, but in general, I believe that they did a pretty good job of mating interior color combinations with body colors.

The color that you are using most closely resembles a color used on Ford products in 1962 and '63 called "Chestnut", a kind of brick red color.

The most common interior color combo for Chestnut was a matching 2 tone of a "russet red" and a somewhat lighter, "coral" or "dusty rose" accent with silver piping.

It sounds a little garish, and it probably is, but to my eye, it's quite attractive.

As I said, I have a bit of a prejudiced opinion when it comes to interior color combos, but in my eye, the obligatory light tan leather interior that you see in most custom cars today is one of the biggest affronts to the beautiful body styles of the 50s and 60s.

I used a similar combination in a black '62 Ford Sunliner that I built a few years ago, and it's still one of my favorites.

Steve

image.png.64f2726c5df651d977f99fbeb3dd88c0.png

2v2UmJSPqxwUbWP.jpg

2v2UmJhSdxwUbWP.jpg

That Black Ford..."Winner,winner,winner, chicken dinner"