Model Cars Magazine Forum

For Diner Fans: Another take on the work of Michael Paul Smith

Brian Austin

This article comes from the perspective of noted diner historian Larry Cultrera who in 1995 had built a model of a diner...

star-lite-diner-model-2\

" ... As I said, Michael and I met sometime during the New England Diner weekend, in fact it may have been at the stop we made to the Modern Diner in Pawtucket, RI. I showed him the photos of my Star Lite Diner model and he immediately was enthusiastic about what I had accomplished. I do recall he asked about the scale of it and told him I did not use any particular scale. We quickly found out that we lived about 7 minutes or so (by car) from each other. ... We made arrangements for me to visit with him soon after and I brought the model with me. We visited at his home for an hour or so and he was impressed with my diner model and how improvised it was with little or no materials other than balsa and bass wood and other items I used to create it. Now don’t get me wrong, I think I did pretty well for this attempt to build the model but my expertise was nowhere in the same ballpark as Michael’s modelling experience. Be that as it may, little did I know that this chance encounter may have actually led to Michael’s near future project of creating Elgin Park…. "

https://dinerhotline.wordpress.com/2019/01/12/a-tribute-to-michael-paul-smith-a-true-artist-in-forced-perspective-photography/#respond

The Diner Hotline Weblog is a diner enthusiast blog.

Thanks for posting this interesting article, Brian....... I too am a great admirer of Michael Paul Smith's work, as indeed are millions of others around the world, and I was devastated when Michael passed away during November of last year. The Star Lite Diner that Larry mentions building in 1995  is a wonderful scale model, and even though he didn't actually build it to a specific scale it looks absolutely right in proportion. Larry was clearly in awe of Michael's prowess as a diorama builder and he was lucky enough to visit his home, where the photograph of his diner model must have impressed the great man. You can believe quite easily that this one  chance encounter might well have led to Michael's brilliant idea to create Elgin Park.

When I began to build my very first diorama around two and a half years ago, it was the work of Michael Paul Smith that truly inspired me more than any other influence, I must say. Just like Larry, there is no way my model buildings will ever be anything close to Michael's incredible structures, but there is a very high bar to aim for and this bar was set so precisely by a wonderful man.

David J Watson, England

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎.‎06‎.‎2019 at 4:27 PM, MrObsessive said:

I didn't know he had died! :(

I read his obituary just a bit ago. He had a VERY convincing diorama! I wonder what's become of it? I hope someone took it in or at least donated it somewhere.

agreed.

he was a master. it always inspired me with his work.