Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's one to make you think of Harry P...

Am I reading this right? $64.99 x 24 months? $1560 total. And they send the parts in monthly installments? What if the company folds before you get the whole thing? My Spidey-sense is tingling.

Edited by Jantrix

Oh yes.  Among pricey four-figure subscription kits, that is a particularly pricey one.

And while there's nothing guaranteeing a company will stay in business, the subscription kit concept has proven pretty successful outside the US market.  I've been through four of these from DeAgostini/Modelspace, and while there are sometimes delays in installments, there's not yet been any failure in delivering a complete kit.

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

‼️‼️‼️‼️ ??

Man oh man.........WHY can’t this be a stock one?? I’d be ALL OVER IT! 

Hmmm......... ??

heh heh heh, I hear those gears turning, Bill!

It ain't fully stock, but it might give you 70% of what you need for a stock one... hmmm...

All I can say is if I would spend almost  $1600 hundred dollars the model should look like the real deal. That photo of the model screams model to me. It would take a lot of work to make it look right in my opinion and I shouldn't have to do a lot of work to make a price with a hefty price tag look right.

That's exactly why I'm not particularly inclined to sign up for this one myself.  If you really want a 1/8 Charger, though, there's no other game in town, and you have around $60-70 disposable per month, you might find it worthwhile to give it the TLC needed to make something an order of magnitude better.

There are all sorts of issues with that 1/8 GT500, but it's a 1/8 scale 1967 Mustang and the body looks right.  You might guess why I couldn't resist that, and Bill might have been of a similar mindset.

4 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

There are all sorts of issues with that 1/8 GT500, but it's a 1/8 scale 1967 Mustang and the body looks right.  You might guess why I couldn't resist that, and Bill might have been of a similar mindset.

You got it Chuck! I seriously doubt that anyone else will ever make a 1/8 scale '67 Shelby Mustang. And yes, the model has its shortcomings as it seems DeAgostini cut some corners for the sake of production. One area in particular is in the engine compartment. I happen to run across a VERY good thread on the UK boards where a fellow did a super detailed one. That thread is here if you want to check it out and believe me I copied each page as I'll be stealing some of his ideas. :D

As you mentioned, the body details are exactly right!  Very important with a model this size and my next problem will be HOW to keep it covered when done. There was a case for it offered by DeAgostini, but it was only offered to those in the UK. I guess they think us Yanks here don't like to keep our expensive models covered! ;)

The partworks subscription method is alien to us in the U.S.A. but haven't had any serious problems or complaints about it so far. I don't mind the build being spread out over time if the trade-off is more impressive size and detail.

That said, I agree with MrObsessive that a stock Charger would be more well received than a F&F version. The partworks companies don't seem to understand that (in the US atleast) the stock versions of muscle cars would be enticing to a larger audience of the classic car builders.

If they want to make the stock cars more impressive skip the movie branding; instead they should get the detailing upto Pocher-level accurate. Of course, this would likely result in a complete kit costing well over $3000. But the Mustang (and the James Bond Db-5) were a bit soft on some of the details under the hood. Meanwhile, the Delorean I'm building has a far more detailed engine bay despite it being a Back to the Future Delorean meaning you never even see the engine in the film! (It's buried under the nuclear reactor parts.) So they seem to still be figuring out the balance of detail vs. relevance/importance of particular details.

Interestingly, there is an Argentina based partwork company called Savlet that makes a really nice 1/8 F-150 and some older stock Chevy (forget the model but I think it was one of the rebadge's of an America Chevy muscle-car) that would probably be popular in the US. I'm guessing the licensing/shipping costs are prohibitive but I would probably have subscribed to the F-150 despite not being a "truck guy."

All in all I'm all for more kits being made since it's an interesting medium that I think a lot of model builders would enjoy. Even though they are so expensive they are also so large that most people would only want a couple hand-fulls of their favorites to set on the bookcase, haha.

Other than parts arriving late (due to parts being out of stock at that time), I had no issue with how DeAgostini made this kit available. It took a couple years, but with all that I have to build at the moment, I didn't get crazed over that. I figure with other projects going on (a '55 Ford Fairlane is on the table now), it's going to take 2+ years till I get this all done.

Dr. Zero, I've seen that truck you're talking about and drooled at the sight of it...........and I'm not a truck fanatic! I think they also did a Falcon four door sedan IIRC (a '64?), that I would definitely go for if we could get it here.

Space? Yeah, that's one of the very first things I considered before I signed on the dotted line. I have a place for the Shelby all picked out, but getting a proper case for it is a MUST! Something that big (and expensive) I don't want sitting out in the open subject to dust and nosy cats. :D

Now IF DeAgostini ever decided to ACTUALLY do a '70 Superbird?? LOOK OUT! I'm breaking the bank for that one!

Yup, Salvat made a pretty nice looking Ford Falcon and a Chevy Opal (the one I was trying to remember earlier.) Hopefully some of these stock kits become available in the USA someday.

Of course, you could buy the F&F Charger and mod it to be stock. I know at least one guy is converting the Eaglemoss BTTF Delorean to stock.

13 hours ago, DrZero said:

Yup, Salvat made a pretty nice looking Ford Falcon and a Chevy Opal (the one I was trying to remember earlier.) Hopefully some of these stock kits become available in the USA someday.

And here it is!

maxresdefault.jpg.effaf80279154c51e3ecdfc5e49fe22a.jpg

I believe this is a '63 looking at the grille. I'd LOVE to have this one............it SERIOUSLY needs some whitewalls though! ;)

On 2019-08-09 at 7:49 PM, Jantrix said:

Am I reading this right? $64.99 x 24 months? $1560 total. And they send the parts in monthly installments? What if the company folds before you get the whole thing? My Spidey-sense is tingling.

Ouch...it's a good thing I don't do big scale models.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 11:49 AM, Jantrix said:

my thoughts exactly!!!

This has been going on a few years now, gents.  The likelihood of a company going out of business before finishing your kit isn't zero (nor is it for anything else), but it's pretty low.

And there are LOTS of these.  Must've found a market, because frankly, there have been at least as many new $1600 subscription kits as there have been new domestic $30 plastic ones showing up lately, if not more.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis