Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

DM Wrecker project

Shambles

I had several kits and projects going a few months ago, then took a leave of absence to remodel my house. I never liked the yellow wheels or the graphics on this model, so my first mods were to change that. I removed all of the graphics and painted the wheels black. I'll make new water slide decals for the finished wrecker. I saw another wrecker on eBay pretty cheap, and a 1:24 resin dump body and thought it would be cool to make a 1953 dump truck.

Last night I got the first wrecker disassembled, and that was no easy task! Getting this all put back together will be a challenge to say the least.

Black wheels.jpg

DumpTruck.jpg

Edited by Shambles

22 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice project. I've recently been very impressed by some of the Danbury Mint die-cast vehicles. Unfortunately, the quality can be a little uneven, but overall, I think they're about the best in 1/24 scale.

The best die cast in  my collection are WCPD. Amazing detail.

Making progress. Got the body mostly stripped but the cab is back in an acetone bath over night. Got some Tamyi grey primer on the hood and doors, and some channel glued to the frame to raise the dump body height. Now I gotta decide on colors and decals.

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

Wrecker stripped.jpg

Update: Got the body stripped and primed tonight. Another coat of primer coming before painting. Got the the dump bed attached and painted flat black. Will do some weathering on it. Trying to decide on a color for the body.

Primed&ready.jpg

Primed&ready2.jpg

Edited by Shambles

1 hour ago, Shambles said:

Decided on blue. Since it's a dark blue, I can't make my own water slide decals 

image.png.5cc4efbc6c2fdc99e3ba6a44057471b1.png

You can make your own decals!  I made these, printed on white decal paper.  You could always paint the small area where you want the decal a lighter color, then apply the decal on clear stock over that.   

On 8/31/2019 at 9:16 PM, Tom Geiger said:

image.png.5cc4efbc6c2fdc99e3ba6a44057471b1.png

You can make your own decals!  I made these, printed on white decal paper.  You could always paint the small area where you want the decal a lighter color, then apply the decal on clear stock over that.   

Hi Tom. Thanks for the reply. Your decals look really good, but they're a darker color on a light colored background. I owned a screen print shop for about twenty years and, until they came out with Max-opaque inks, to print spot colors on a dark shirt, we needed to print a white base coat, then print the colors over the white. It's sorta like the decals.

I've designed and printed decals for a few models but, without the ability to print a white base coat, the ink jet decals are not opaque enough for colors to stand out on a dark background. I'm experimenting with some different papers and coatings and there are a few desk top laser printers available now that will print full color plus white, but they're a little too expensive for my hobby budget: https://www.micromark.com/Ghost-White-Toner-and-HP-Printer-Bundle

SMALLSHAMBLES1959.jpg

smallDecal.jpg

Edited by Shambles

• 2 weeks later...