Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wats up?

I would donate to not have to see these ads. In fact the amount of ads thrown in my face is making me want to stay away completely. I hate to say it, but it's TRUE. having a pop up ad on click is annoying and is causing me to look elsewhere 

Not the same but I had used a piece of software for literally years. They started randomly forcing ads and I immediately stopped using it. I went as far as contacting the company and telling them that forced ads drove me away.

I understand the site need to make money but the amount of ads is overwhelming 

Edited by youpey

4 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

This link explains about the ads. Dave explains that he adjusted the ads to improve the revenue and intends to adjust them to be less intrusive.

Thanks for the link to that. I will give it a couple of weeks and see how it is then. As I said, I know people need the ads for revenue but it's way too much. Between the popup ads, the ad at the top that u can never truly remove and the full page of ads in between random posts, it like 600% too much. I cant even see this full post because of the ads 

Edited by youpey

I try to scroll through them, but there has been one on lately that I think needs to be addressed.  It is from "Wish" which is usually a series of thumbnails.  One of those thumbnails shows a "very personal male feature" with a jacket around it and just the end protruding.  Don't know what they are trying to sell, but my wife saw that and came unglued and not in a friendly way.  

Maybe it’s my imagination but does it seem like the ads are targeting the language and wording used in this forums conversations? I don’t visit or should have any history in my browser for some of the inappropriate ads that pop up! Yet, I’ve noticed that maybe one or two words in someone’s dialogue here, taken out of context, will trigger an ad in the same thread! I’m no computer or internet expert just making an observation.
I get the idea of having to create revenue with targeted advertising but there’s got to be a way for the forum providers to filter out the inappropriate garbage or find a different ad provider. Yeah, I know, ad blockers are available. But this is a model car forum with expectations of wholesomeness  that children may be participating in and feel that monitoring from my end shouldn’t be necessary. Considering  that the rules here don’t allow foul language or behavior! I may not be a huge contributor here but I do enjoy visiting, learning and piping in now and then. Now mind you, I’m not a prude or anything but I’m not soliciting this stuff and the quality of these ads tend to spoil the experience of being here. Ignoring them is extremely difficult when they’re so IN YOUR FACE!!! Not shouting, just making a point. I’ve been a subscriber for awhile and have been sympathetic to all the tribulations this magazine community has been through and hope this is just a passing growing pain!