Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diorama base surface question

tbill

As I’m working on my garage dio, I’ve decided I need a ‘lot’ to put it on. My dilemma now is how to replicate pavement/ black top. I had thought of either black sandpaper, or rubberized undercoat ( not sure how that would work out), what else is out there? I’ll be using plywood as the base if that makes a difference for any other products you may recommend.

thanks,

tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Tom, how bout using 1/4 inch thick Plywood and lay a SUPER THIN coat of "Bondo, AKA Auto body Filler over the wood. You can re create cracks , seams , etc while it sets....Follow that with some Acrylic VERY Light Grey and some rubber marks  brusspellinghed in ?

Edited by Eshaver
spelling

On 11/27/2019 at 4:08 AM, tbill said:

As I’m working on my garage dio, I’ve decided I need a ‘lot’ to put it on. My dilemma now is how to replicate pavement/ black top. I had thought of either black sandpaper, or rubberized undercoat ( not sure how that would work out), what else is out there? I’ll be using plywood as the base if that makes a difference for any other products you may recommend.

thanks,

tom

Hello Tom , to make  asphalt, i use a piece of a coating that is used for waterproofing sheet metal or concrete roofs . You have to erode the surface to get a more realistic look using a stiff brush or household alcohol .I hope that it will be able to help you.    Philippe.

A3CC1973-F457-4D99-9F34-2CCC1A922DCA.jpeg

B385E18E-1343-423B-867F-C4FD8C095465.jpeg

60C4BF47-046D-4B28-9189-A6E3AED6A4E4.jpeg

8A43BD29-4D20-41E6-BB7A-7A66BAF182A4.jpeg

5C3B2C39-745C-4DED-8C7E-631A088628CE.jpeg

Edited by grodudulle77

On 11/27/2019 at 12:27 AM, Bucky said:

I once used a sheet of fine grained cork to represent an asphalt driveway. Painted flat black and weathered a bit, I thought it looked pretty good.

I found some very thin adhesive backed cork @ dollar tree and used it on this base, took me minutes to do this and all is painted it with was gray primer and apple barrel yellow paint. Is it the best, no but I think it looks convincing. 

IMG_6956[1].jpg

IMG_6942.jpg

Edited by wrenchr
added pic