Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

2 minutes ago, dbostream said:

Can the Charger be built stock?

No, it's 100% race car.

This earlier release has a stock-ish interior, but the chassis, etc. is the same as the Petty race car version:

sc.jpg.3633bc228814bcde938e81372fc8a45d.jpg

Edited by Casey

That Petty-come-Street Charger kit has some nice castings (perhaps other 1/16 scale MPC Dodge Hemi kits are the same ?) on the block and transmission case . 

It represents Petty's 1973-1974 Charger ; the later iterations ( c.1982 red version with 80's wheels , and its c.1977 predecessor with the Fenton wheels and other 70's livery ) are "fictitious" , as there's no way that the 8 3/4 axle would survive on the street or track ; it'd snap in short order under that usage ( hard-launches , esp. with those wide wheels and tyres ---- Stock Car use is a different story ) . 

That's not to take away from it ; I'm not knocking it . It's a good starting point for a 70's 'Street Freak' !

Edited by 1972coronet

Since Round 2 is knee deep into fixing/restoring their old tooling and such, it'd be great of they could fix those hacked out front wheel wells on that Charger.  Yeah, they'd lose the Petty configuration, but most nascar/oval track modelers can probably "radius" their own wheel wells when needed when building these cars.   Tool up a stock-ish chassis for it and I think you could get new buyers/builders into the mix.  I know I would buy one if you could build a stock version out of it.

Edited by the other Mike S.

11 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

Since Round 2 is knee deep into fixing/restoring their old tooling and such, it'd be great of they could fix those hacked out front wheel wells on that Charger

It's going to take considerably more work than 'merely' creating stock fenders and quarters for that body . The front bumper and grille are incorrect for a 1973-1974 Charger ( the 'hideaway' headlamps disappeared after the 1972 model year ) ; the Hemi was gone after 1971 ; there's no engine compartment on / in the Petty (et al. ) Charger .

The dashboard , interior tub , and seats from the 'street' editions of the Charger are correct for '73 - '74 ; the steering wheel is not . 

Ne'er-the-less...

A stock 1973-1974 bumper & grille + the Fenton wheels + scoop to cover the supercharger cutout + the interior from the street editions = a great basis .  

On 12/4/2020 at 1:40 PM, Casey said:

sc.jpg.3633bc228814bcde938e81372fc8a45d.jpg

I built this one (not very well) as a youngster back in the early-mid 80's. I loved the kit, I just didn't have the patience or skills as a, I think, 14 or 15 year old when I built it, LOL. Now that I've been back building for the last 3 years, this has become my "Grail Kit"!