Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

My wife and I always pay by check or cash to local businesses. Many people don't realize that retailers pay a percentage to the banks/credit card companies whenever you use a credit or debit card. When you use a card, you are decreasing the profit for the hobby shop, (or any local business). If you appreciate your local businesses, don't use a card there.

Lots of LHS discussion going on.   I owned one for a while in early 00s.   We could match WM pricing on AMT Ertl stuff if I could justify buying directly from them and they were GREAT to deal with then, when it was RC/Ertl.   But, I couldn't always justify a case of a particular kit or diecast.   And the internet wasn't the biggest place to buy/sell.  We did some diecast on ebay.   I tried to keep all the Testors paints and BMF and magazines.  The things we all buy.   We carried Action NASCAR stuff as well.   

Our demise didn't come from the internet or large retailers.   We worked to build a nice local base and succeeded to a degree.   What happened to us is that our main customer base was mill workers in the area.   Then the CAFTA agreements sent the textile jobs away.   And we still hung in there.   But the final straw was one of the holdout mills closed.   Then we lost a huge chunk of our customers because they were afraid they would lose their jobs or did lose their jobs.  And you can't eat model cars or properly heat your home with a closet full of models.    I mean in the space of a month we went from growing to stagnant and it just never recovered locally.   

There are several former customers on here and I want to take a moment to thank them for the support they gave our tiny little shop.   Thanks.  

We tried.   We really did.   And yes we had customers then that would wait for orders.   Things are completely different now.  I would try to support my local if I had one.  We will try to support HL when they open.   But it's an internet age.  If you have a brick & mortar, you are going to have to have an internet presence or lose sales to the internet.  And you're just not going to close every sale anyway.   Just my thoughts.  

The auto world HO slot car drag strip set is pretty cool... And so are the slot cars... With extra Tomy track pieces to make return lanes, you could have a riot with family and friends... I have a couple of the older ones that I set up every once in a while during the holidays.... And we test out our reflexes..... ????

5 minutes ago, slusher said:

What happened to the molds for the 75 Camaro, was it a one year only car?

I'm sure countless threads here have covered this topic, but long story short---the way I understand it:  he AMT '75 progressed through '77 then was later modified into a '70 Z/28 that came out around 1989 ( not the '90s era tooling that is still around today).     The MPC '75 was updated each year through '81.    

On the top below is one of the last issues of the MPC tool and on the bottom is the last issue of the AMT tool. 

Vintage-80-81-Chevy-Camaro-Z28-78-_1.jpg

s-l640-2.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

Recent trawl of Stevens International shows:

AMT-1229    1/25 1977 Ford Surfer Van    $32.95

AMT-1251    1/25 1953 Studebaker Starliner Car in Collectible Tin    $39.99

AMT-1252    1/25 USA-1 Chevy Silverado Monster Truck    $35.95

11 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

I'm sure countless threads here have covered this topic, but long story short---the way I understand it:  he AMT '75 progressed through '77 then was later modified into a '70 Z/28 that came out around 1989 ( not the '90s era tooling that is still around today).     The MPC '75 was updated each year through '81.    

On the top below is one of the last issues of the MPC tool and on the bottom is the last issue of the AMT tool. 

s-l640-2.jpg

Ok, I'm a bit confused.   I built the bottom photo Camaro and thought it was the first release of the modern tool.  With it's round fender tops or whatever.   Around 1991ish?  And then the BM camaro later.   Are those not the same kit as the most recent reissue with full bumper?  I've sold both of them so I can't look.  I would like to have the new one, but as with any new model purchase, I have to think forward to where will it go when complete?  I'm out of space to display and building to go in a cabinet doesn't seem right to me.  Might be time to rotate the displays I guess.

3 minutes ago, randyc said:

Ok, I'm a bit confused.   I built the bottom photo Camaro and thought it was the first release of the modern tool.  With it's round fender tops or whatever.   Around 1991ish?  And then the BM camaro later.   Are those not the same kit as the most recent reissue with full bumper?  I've sold both of them so I can't look.  I would like to have the new one, but as with any new model purchase, I have to think forward to where will it go when complete?  I'm out of space to display and building to go in a cabinet doesn't seem right to me.  Might be time to rotate the displays I guess.

No.      

The current Z/28 and B/M kits were new tooling that first appeared around 2000, referred to often as the 'modern tool'.  There have to be a dozen threads or more on here that have discussed this topic over the years.   Alas, topics just keep getting repeated on here ad infinitum...

Edited by Rob Hall

25 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

s-l640-2.jpg

Thanks Rob, now I understand......

37 minutes ago, Fabrux said:

Recent trawl of Stevens International shows:

AMT-1229    1/25 1977 Ford Surfer Van    $32.95

AMT-1251    1/25 1953 Studebaker Starliner Car in Collectible Tin    $39.99

AMT-1252    1/25 USA-1 Chevy Silverado Monster Truck    $35.95

Didn't they just bring out the 1977 Ford Van and Chevy Monster truck (as the Cruising Van/Coca-Cola Van and Coca-Cola truck, respectively) recently?

Just now, Rob Hall said:

Yes..pretty easy to change the box art and decals for yet another reissue...

They sure are trying to get their money's worth with these two kits! It bums me out that they keep bringing out the monster truck version of the C1500, but somehow can't bring out the stock trucks.

3 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

They sure are trying to get their money's worth with these two kits! It bums me out that they keep bringing out the monster truck version of the C1500, but somehow can't bring out the stock trucks.

Makes me wonder if the tooling was permanently changed to make the monster truck version.  The chassis and suspension of the monster truck versions certainly are different from the stock chassis and suspension.

3 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Makes me wonder if the tooling was permanently changed to make the monster truck version.  The chassis and suspension of the monster truck versions certainly are different from the stock chassis and suspension.

See I wondered that too, but looking at Scalemates, the monster truck came out in the late 80s and the shortbox and stepside versions after that.

3 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

See I wondered that too, but looking at Scalemates, the monster truck came out in the late 80s and the shortbox and stepside versions after that.

True, those were on a shorter wheelbase chassis than the original '88 and '89 Silverado annual kits....that longbed was what became the monster truck.  the longbed fleet side has never been reissued after the original monster truck release, I think. 

Would be nice to see the 454SS and step side versions reissued. 

Edited by Rob Hall

3 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Would be nice to see the 454SS and step side versions reissued. 

Ditto. I'm guessing that the long bed kit was modified into the shortbed and stepside kits since it doesn't make any more appearances after 1989, though it wouldn't be tough to combine the USA-1 and shortbed kits if you wanted to make a stock long bed.