Model Cars Magazine Forum

BRBO 2020 Pete wrecker rebuild

Ok! Tell me guys. Are the booms too long or should they be shortened a bit?? 
right now they are just being cradled by the lift. Comparing to the KW behind it by the time I make the cradle for them they will be higher than the KW. Just thinking for running down the highway it may be to tall... Thus shortening them up will bring them down in the end.. 

What do you all think??

7AE44F84-C104-46EF-96FE-CA9081CA8E50.thumb.jpeg.f9f8d1e18344aa0378b220084b1f6c8b.jpeg

6DE36C36-7908-428C-9271-C76BA39D1672.thumb.jpeg.7fa548c8fbd58d83e0ba0f2e615f6362.jpeg

Was kinda thinking the same just a wee bit long.

Having driven older twin boom wreckers they are usually closer to be even with the end of the bed or maybe at most a foot past the end of the bed.

Now rotators are a different story Special K lol.

Edited by Vince66

3 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

IMO they look a tad  long . Took a look at my Holmes wrecker and the end is almost even w end of bed . Mabe just a bit shorter it will look better 

3 hours ago, Vince66 said:

Was kinda thinking the same just a wee bit long.

Having driven older twin boom wreckers the usually are close to even with the end of the bed or maybe at most a foot past the end of the bed.

Now rotators are a different story Special K lol.

Kind of my thought too!! Adding the pivots at the other end kicked them outward more so!  May cut about two inches off of them, give or take... Thanks gents!! It’s coming along now!!

11 hours ago, tbill said:

Looking good!

6 hours ago, Vince66 said:

That the tickets yea yea that's it yea. 

Thank ya gents!! It's starting to look like something now!!! Next I need to decide on if I'm leaving the wrecker body sides as is or cutting them down to look more modern... That and a way to cover the slots of where the old style wrecker winch box was mounted... I may have an idea for that one, just stuck on the body sides and what to do with them... UGH..

The Roos look much better now , very well done   ! Easier taking length off than adding it..major reason I suck at carpentry..i tend to measure once and buy 5 more boards lol

For the side ya might try taking about half the height off , still keeping the original look just shorter ?  Looking at my Holmes,  theres just a small kick up in front , leaving room for the booms to swing outward 

Not sure where the original winch box attached, but if its reasonable,  holes could be covered w equipment? Hookers carry all kinds of stuff...hey now easy squirrels..may be opportunity to add a spot for extra recovery gear 

23 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

The Roos look much better now , very well done   ! Easier taking length off than adding it..major reason I suck at carpentry..i tend to measure once and buy 5 more boards lol

For the side ya might try taking about half the height off , still keeping the original look just shorter ?  Looking at my Holmes,  theres just a small kick up in front , leaving room for the booms to swing outward 

Not sure where the original winch box attached, but if its reasonable,  holes could be covered w equipment? Hookers carry all kinds of stuff...hey now easy squirrels..may be opportunity to add a spot for extra recovery gear 

Same here, I keep Home Depot going sometimes...

I was thinking of equipment or a tool box of something back under there. Possible floor jack too with the sides being cut down.. Even a spare tire for the rig could go under there..

1 hour ago, Pete68 said:

Looking very nice Doc

Thank ya Lee!!!

• 2 weeks later...