Model Cars Magazine Forum

Detailing a truck engine

One more stupid question I'll ask here instead of wasting another post.

I have the Italeri Western Star 5964SS kit and need to know what engine is in the kit and if it's a Cummins black or red top power plant in the kit or a driptroit series 60

It's most likely meant to be a N14 but the engine is still the same NTC as they used in several other truck kits starting with the Freightliner FLC kit but without the aftercooler.
The NTC and N14 looks very different in the cylinder head area, especially the valve covers, but that didn't  Italeri bother to do anything about, they just modified the intake area and instead of a water to air aftercooler on the engine they did an air to air intercooler in front of the radiator and it's the only upgrade they did...so it's not a correct N14 by any means.
If you want a more correct N14 Auslowe has one.

Edited by Force

I uploaded those Ken Smith articles on the Dutch Model Club site years ago.  They were all scanned in.jpg format and should have no problems downloading..  A Freightliner FLC brochure I have, which mirrors many photographs and information from the Testors Freightliner FLC kit confirms that it is indeed a mid 1980s Cummins NTC350 engine.

When it comes to detailing engines, I always refer to brochures and repair manuals.  The internet is full information.  Every engine's set up is different based on the type of truck, the options, engine requirements, etc.  And of course the final reference is an actual engine in the type of truck you are building. 

This is a photo of a R&C Resin IMG_20190308_132433034.thumb.jpg.301cbde549f00737a1cf83b776c02c96.jpgCummins  L10 I am detail for a Ford Aeromax 106.