Model Cars Magazine Forum

Build opinion?

Hi everyone,

So i saw a pic on FB of a duel engine postal truck (see pic) that is killer.

I have '29 ford rat rod partial kit and 3 Revell chevy 283 engines that i got on ebay (3 kits for $19.95) great deal. (Pics)

Thinking bout doing a duel engine rat rod, maybe suicide doors. Anyone have any opinions on that idea?

20200124_152456.jpg

20200124_152622.jpg

Screenshot_2020-01-24-15-43-52.png

I think the tandem engine setup might be the easiest to do but you will end up with a longer chassis to contain the engines. Another idea to consider is side by side much like some of the duel engines Dragsters from long ago. The side by side would look just as impressive if not for so and the chassis would remain about the same size as now. What ever you do please share pictures of your build. 

8 minutes ago, espo said:

I think the tandem engine setup might be the easiest to do but you will end up with a longer chassis to contain the engines. Another idea to consider is side by side much like some of the duel engines Dragsters from long ago. The side by side would look just as impressive if not for so and the chassis would remain about the same size as now. What ever you do please share pictures of your build. 

The old AMT Double Dragster kit has a frame set up for side-by-side SBCs. If you ask nicely, someone here might donate one to you, as I don't think many modelers actually build that kit that way. 

1 minute ago, Snake45 said:

The old AMT Double Dragster kit has a frame set up for side-by-side SBCs. If you ask nicely, someone here might donate one to you, as I don't think many modelers actually build that kit that way. 

That would be a great idea. Should simplify the conversion if that is the direction on this build. I don't usually build to many Street Rods but this idea is starting to "sound very interesting" as Cpt. Klink used to say. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

...this idea is starting to "sound very interesting" as Cpt. Klink used to say. 

He wasn't a Captain, he was a Colonel. And he wasn't the one with the famous "Very interesting" catchphrase. That was Arte Johnson on Laugh-In. (Both were on TV about the same time, though.) B)

The Revell 283 parts pack chevy engine comes with a Potvin blower...that's a front crank-mounted supercharger setup. Here's a forum thread with a punch of pics of the real thing. The Mooneyes dragster had a chevy with a potvin setup, and the Orange Crate (offered as a kit by Revell) had an Oldsmobile V8 with a similar blower. If you search "Potvin blown SBC" you'll find a bunch of photos online.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/anybody-running-a-potvin-front-mount-blower-set-up.1160001/

1-small-block-garlits-2-jpg.4385716