Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Dart Swinger Big Block Scratchbuilt 1/25 Scale

8 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello Trevor and thanks for your interest on my build!

These gauge faces are custom made by me on a computer using professional drawing software (Adobe Illustrator). I used a picture of the real gauge that I found online a did use that picture as a template to recreate them in Adobe Illustrator. I scale down the drawing at 1/25 scale and printed the electronic file on negative film. The output device was an AGFA imagesetter for platemaking (print industry) and printed at 2400 lpi (line per inch). I worked 32 years as a graphic designer and had access to those devices back then but I'm no longer in this market. I don't think you can find something more accurate than this since I had even use the exact same typefaces for the numbers (the odometer read 24034).

I know It's very technical but I hope it's helpful!

Cheers, Francis

I too was taken with the gauges (amongst 100 other cool things on this build)...I think buying an imagesetter is slightly out of my hobby budget, but the results are outstanding!  I’d love to find something else on the market that could print as crisply as that!

Gauges aside - beautiful build all round!  Amazing work!

On 3/3/2020 at 4:01 PM, mvadrag said:

First, let me say that I am very impressed by your scratch building model skills.  You build very clean, finely detailed models.  You also run a very mean machining operation for these models. Outstanding!

As far as drive line loops, I added one to my 1966 Chevy II (12.8 @ 108 mph) in 1987 so I could drag race it at my local track and the rules were then 6" from the front u-joint.  And yes, I did see cars "pole vault" from failed u-joints when the track allowed "nostalgia" cars to run that were slower than 13.99 seconds in the quarter.  I have the rule books from back then, but here is the current version:

Thanks for your good words José. I really appreciate!

Talking drive line loop I must now admit that I can never again say that I was not aware of the position required by the NHRA. There are serious connoisseurs on this forum!!!

Cheers, Francis

23 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I too was taken with the gauges (amongst 100 other cool things on this build)...I think buying an imagesetter is slightly out of my hobby budget, but the results are outstanding!  I’d love to find something else on the market that could print as crisply as that!

Gauges aside - beautiful build all round!  Amazing work!

Thanks for your greats comments on my build Jim!

I was fortunate to work in the field of graphic arts and to have access to all these high level devices. With the advent of digital presses, these devices are now obsolete, but I don't know more precisely how to reproduce these gauges faces. Even with a 40x magnifier you cannot see the slightest staircase effect in the figures.

Thanks again for your visit!  Cheers, Francis

Just now, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Thanks for your greats comments on my build Jim!

I was fortunate to work in the field of graphic arts and to have access to all these high level devices. With the advent of digital presses, these devices are now obsolete, but I don't know more precisely how to reproduce these gauges faces. Even with a 40x magnifier you cannot see the slightest staircase effect in the figures.

Thanks again for your visit!  Cheers, Francis

They’re really outstanding - I’ve been thinking about how I could make gauges as crisp and scale-accurate all day!

I wonder where one could find a 2400dpi (or higher) printer nowadays?  Seems like it SHOULD be possible to find that easily in this day and age, but I’d bet I’d struggle to find one that the public could have short run work done on.

2 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

They’re really outstanding - I’ve been thinking about how I could make gauges as crisp and scale-accurate all day!

I wonder where one could find a 2400dpi (or higher) printer nowadays?  Seems like it SHOULD be possible to find that easily in this day and age, but I’d bet I’d struggle to find one that the public could have short run work done on.

Maybe there still some old school printer in your area that still used imagesetter and negative films for plate making. If you have access to a vector drawing software (like Adobe Illustrator) you might be able to create the drawing and ask them to output your file on film and do the same thing I have done?

2 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Maybe there still some old school printer in your area that still used imagesetter and negative films for plate making. If you have access to a vector drawing software (like Adobe Illustrator) you might be able to create the drawing and ask them to output your file on film and do the same thing I have done?

That’s a great idea - I should research that!  Thank you!

12 hours ago, John B. said:

Absolutely the nicest Mopar model that I have ever seen - congratulations! 

Thanks for your kind comments John!

Personally I think that the build of my 70 Plymouth GTX is superior but as we say "the beauty is in the eye of the beholder"! You can see it at: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/148434-70-plymouth-hemi-gtx-125-scale/   Cheers, Francis

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Metaldrumm said:

Fantastic work and ,probably one of the best builds I've ever seen ,much respect to you?

Thanks for your great comments on the Dart Brian! It is a little bit dated and if you come back to check my future posts of my past builts you will see more flaws (minor I hope) but I do think that they are still decent builds.

Thanks again for your visit!   Francis

8 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Looks Awesome ! what kind of milling machine are you using ?

Hello Mr Mopar! Thanks for your kind words for the Dart!

My milling and lathe are Sherline (one the best brand and US made!!!) and I could not do without it today!

If you go check my '64 Dodge D100 Pickup thread you could read my short introduction and find some great model builders names who inspired my to use this kind of tooling in my hobby. It's pretty expensive but I do think it worth it!

By the way, nice pic of the '70 R/T Charger, I had a real one with a 440 magnum 4 speed and it was a head turner!

Cheers, Francis

• 2 weeks later...

Great work again Francis. Looks like the grill slots are open. Awesome. And the hose clamps look great. How did you make the headers? 

As far as making the gauge faces, if you have access to an inkjet printer with a high-end rip, you might be able to print gauges at 2800 dpi or at least 1400 dpi on mylar or good quality paper. I have been working for a printing company for 37 years so I have seen the changes from using neg film to all digital. 

15 minutes ago, GoatGuy said:

Great work again Francis. Looks like the grill slots are open. Awesome. And the hose clamps look great. How did you make the headers? 

As far as making the gauge faces, if you have access to an inkjet printer with a high-end rip, you might be able to print gauges at 2800 dpi or at least 1400 dpi on mylar or good quality paper. I have been working for a printing company for 37 years so I have seen the changes from using neg film to all digital. 

Thanks GoatGuy!  Yes, the front grill slots were opened using the back of an Xacto blade (#7) that I thinned slightly both side to minimize contacts with the teeth. Long and tedious process but I do think that the front grill must always get some improvement to make it credible and looking like the real one.

The headers were done with soft aluminum craft wire. The gauge is just the right size at 0.080'' and equal to 2 inch in real life so it's the right size for big block engine.

I see you know the subject regarding graphic art (32 years of experience for me). I bought an ALPS MD-1300 printer several years ago but I never used it. I know it's capable to print at 1200 x 600 dpi so it should be good but not as good as a Postscript RIP with a high-end Imagesetter on analogue film. I will try to figure-out a decent solution for my future gauge faces...

Thanks again for your input!  Take care, Francis

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, charlie libby said:

wow that dart is amazing!!! incredible work.wish I could see it close up

Thanks Charles!  Unfortunately I can't make closer pics because the optical of my Nikon would hit the model... lol.

Farce aside, I would be very happy to show it to you in person if I didn't live so far from you!  Take care, Francis